• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Cham cage.

ZEKE

5 Year Member
would one of these work good for a cham of any kind? i really like the pygmy chams but i am also interested in a normal. the size i would probably get is the 18x24.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.blackjungle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BJTS&Product_Code=PT-2592&Category_Code=T">http://www.blackjungle.com/Merchant2/me ... ory_Code=T</a><!-- m -->

ThePHX

5 Year Member
The general rule is 10 gall per cham. Also look into caresheets, becuase these animals do not do well with heat, and mostly spent their time on low brush and on the ground. It is also not sure if the animals need uvb, since they spend so much time on the ground, uvb isnt really necessary

ZEKE

5 Year Member
alright thanks. do they do okay in mesh cages like that? im not getting one any time soon. they are just on the list of species i would like to have eventually.

ThePHX

5 Year Member
most chams do better in mesh cages, but these actually can be placed in terrariums, just block off a side or two. They might try to fight with their reflection...

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I do believe that UV is an esential compononent of many species of Chameleon's health. When I used to keep them, I found that without the UVA/UVB they would almost always develope calcium deficiencies.

ThePHX

5 Year Member
yeah, but pygmys are different, cant get any sunlight on the forest floor :D "Although stump-tail chameleons ususally live in the shade on the forest floor, they require a certain amount of light to locate and "shoot" their prey"

"The greatest threat to keeping stump-tail chameleons is their susceptibility to extremely high temperatures resulting from direct exporsure to sunlight."

Thats an expert from my "Stump- Tailed Chameleon" book, but they are amazing creatures, i love my pygmys :D

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ThePHX said:
yeah, but pygmys are different, cant get any sunlight on the forest floor :D "Although stump-tail chameleons ususally live in the shade on the forest floor, they require a certain amount of light to locate and "shoot" their prey"

"The greatest threat to keeping stump-tail chameleons is their susceptibility to extremely high temperatures resulting from direct exporsure to sunlight."

Thats an expert from my "Stump- Tailed Chameleon" book, but they are amazing creatures, i love my pygmys :D

Oh, my bad. I for a second there forgot that you were referring to the pygmies.

ZEKE

5 Year Member
ahh ok thanks. again i dont plan on getting them any time soon. probably after collage. im going to try to breed cresties for now. its just there are so many animals i want to eventually have but i dont have room for them. i cant ever decide lol.

near the top of my list of what i want are poison dart frogs, water dragons, and pygmy chams. not really in that order tho.

so im just trying to get info now on them so i will be ready when the time comes that i can get them.

thanks for your input.

ThePHX

5 Year Member
tahts awesome that water dragons are on your list. Just because they are 30 bucks at the store people dont think they are really worth it..

ZEKE

5 Year Member
water dragons are amazing! i want to build a huge 6x6x8'tall cage and keep a pair or trio of them in it. it would be totally naturalistic too. that is really what my dream lizards would be.

ThePHX

5 Year Member
Yeah, but youd have to make sure there are enough spots for all of them, because I have dominationed issues with my two females in my 4ft x 2ft x 5 ft enclousre. The smaller one would only eat what she needed to survive, because the other one was much bigger and wouldnt let her spend anytime anywhere, besides a dark corner. After i seperated them, the other one has gained like 50 grams. It can be done tho, just need quite a bit of room, and definately more than one basking spot, and more than one place to get their food from. No guarantees tho

ZEKE

5 Year Member
yeah i know i would have to have it a certain way. i would make sure they all had plenty of room. do you think a 6x6x8 or a 7x7x8 would be big enough for a trio?

ThePHX

5 Year Member
It would be hard to say, it might work for a little bit but then they might start dominating each other, its really hard to say. If you really wanted to give it a try, make sure all of them are the same size, because thats the mistake i made...the big female dominated the little female..she was reallyyy skinny and was sick most of the time do to the stress (my guess). But now shes flourishing in her own cage :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam