• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Changed Eating Habit

thommack

My 7 pound 3 ft long female rescue tegu, Teddy, has changed her eating pattern drastically from when I got her last year. She really didn't seem to brumate, but there was about 3-4 week period where she hardly came out of her hide box. Now she is out every day and very active. She comes over to me and wants to climb all over me. Since this is her first spring with me, I have just recently let her (with supervision) roam around the house a couple of times and even outside around the pool once. She seemed to thoroughly enjoy it, was very mellow, and went back into her room.

What has changed, though, is that although she seems hungry, she is totally ignoring some of what were her favorite foods like blueberries, blackberries, and grapes. When she does eat something, like chicken livers, or shrimp, or sardines, etc., she will eat one or two bites, then she will rub her lips against the ground and stops eating. Many times she is still tongue-flicking the food a lot, but it's like she no longer smells it or it doesn't tempt her. They other day she ate two raw eggs, but when I tried her again another day, she only slurped about half of it up.

She is under her lamp everyday (a nice UVB lamp I purchasing after researching brands here on Tegu Talk), Her room has its own extra electric heater, and she has plenty of room to roam as the entire bedroom is hers. She seems to be very active and happy, but last year she would eat an entire plateful of food and then seemed to want more.

One other thing that has changed is that her urates are now yellow instead of white. But there is plenty of urine with them, so I don't think she is dehydrated.

Anyone seen this type of behavior?

Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602