• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Cheyenne is prego.

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I noticed that cheyenne was looking pretty fat for a couple of days ..And today she was acting weird (digging, running around the tank).So i picked her up and felt her belly and i can feel 2-3 lumps...I think they are eggs...cause she is FAT!..I dont really know what to do..sense this waznt planned.. I dont know if they are fertle or not.. I have my male Wakka in the same tank as her..but Iv never seen them breeding befor (iv seen wakka trying but he never goes as far as to biteing the back of her neck)...what should i put in the tank for her?? I dont have a incubater..how much $$ are they??
Help!

Tux

5 Year Member
Ok shes gravid that much you know for sure. At this point she needs increased calcium and a dig box. Pregnancy is hard on a female especially calcium wise. If you don't plan to hatch the eggs you can freeze them, if you do you need an incubator (and plan on alot of crickets for food). Different ppl have different ideas on layboxes so read this <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bio.miami.edu/ktosney/file/BDeggs.html#Anchor-The-47857">http://www.bio.miami.edu/ktosney/file/B ... -The-47857</a><!-- m -->

I prefer using moist vermiculite.

sidenote: you will need to remove the male as he will most likely trample the eggs and try to breed her again before she recovers.

ObsessionDragons

5 Year Member
Tux has some excellent advice. She does sound gravid, and needs a lay box as soon as possible. I didn't have time to read through the link Tux posted, but a lay box should be fairly large, and will not fit inside the tank.

You should basically leave her in the lay box until she lays her eggs. You may take her out at night to sleep in her own room, but put her right back in the lay box the next morning until she lays.

You'll know once they're laid whether or not they're fertile. Fertile eggs are very pretty, nice and white. Infertile eggs are typically rather yellowish, and not very pretty. If you can't tell immediately after she's laid them, you'll know within a few days of incubating them, as the infertiles turn all sorts of nasty colors and start to smell.

As for incubators, I believe LLL Reptile carries one for right around $50.

But the most important thing to worry about right now is getting her a proper lay box, and allowing her to lay those eggs.

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Im going out right now to get her a lay box and some vermiculite.
thank you so much you too!!!

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Actully its sunday..and petsmart isnt open...where can i get vermiculite??

joshandjack

5 Year Member
try a garden supply shop. vermiculite is used to keep potting soiul moist and they will most deffinately have some. depending on how far gravid you think your female is you mught want to keep her with the male a little longer for maximum chances of fertilization,.

ObsessionDragons

5 Year Member
Any Home Depot or Lowe's should have it, as well. If you can't find vermiculite, you can use soil, as long as it doesn't have any chemicals in it.

Good luck!!!

Tux

5 Year Member
yup I always recommend the hardware store because its cheap there. great advice ObsessionDragons, I have seen some yellowish eggs that were fertile though so to a 1st time breeder it maybe confusing, another possible sign of infertile eggs is dents (though again this is not conclusive to all dents) you can always candle any eggs you are unsure of.

Also if you can find 1 an old refrigeration unit can make an awesome incubator.

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ok so i found and old bin in my basement and am using that...
tell me if i need anything else.. I have a thermometer and a humidity gauge in there...I have a light on her right now..
here are some pics tho.
DSC02142.jpg

DSC02144.jpg

DSC02143.jpg

ObsessionDragons

5 Year Member
Actually, Lexi...that looks exactly like what I do. Darn good for a first timer!

If she starts acting like she doesn't know what to do, you could start a hole for her that starts on the shallow end...going into the deep end and place her so that her nose is pointing towards the hole. That sometimes helps.

The rest is really up to her. Oh, and she will probably be very, very thirsty when she's done (not to mention dirty) so a nice, warm bath should do the trick. You can use a soft bristled toothbrush to get the dirt out from between her scales.

Let us know how things go!

Edit: She's a very pretty girl, by the way!

ObsessionDragons

5 Year Member
Tux said:
yup I always recommend the hardware store because its cheap there. great advice ObsessionDragons, I have seen some yellowish eggs that were fertile though so to a 1st time breeder it maybe confusing, another possible sign of infertile eggs is dents (though again this is not conclusive to all dents) you can always candle any eggs you are unsure of.

Well, thank you, Tux!

You know, you're exactly right about the eggs. Some fertiles are a very pale yellow, but are you saying you've seen really yellow fertiles? I've never witnessed one like that, so I just had to ask!

Oh, and another good sign of fertiles is if on the bottom, they have a little peachy colored "glow" to them. Now, the key is that you don't want to turn them to look for that glow, but move the egg up above you to see the underneath of it. Please, Tux, please tell me you've never seen that peachy glow in an infertile! :mrgreen:

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Lol Thank you so much !!!!! Do you guys have pics of a fertile and a unfertile egg? or will i be able to notice the difference in coloration... Would you guys like to see the father?

ObsessionDragons

5 Year Member
I'd love to see some pics of daddy!

As for fertile versus infertile pics, I've got plenty of fertile pics, but no infertile pics right now. I do have a girl with egg, who should be laying any day, and they're infertile, so I can get some pics of those when she does.

If all else fails, you could post egg pics, too!

Here are some fertiles. Keep in mind, the one with a bunch of eggs are hatching, but yours should look fairly close to the ones on the bottom row.

The closer up pic are eggs that were about a week of incubation. Hopefully, they help.

AphroditesFirstClutch002.jpg

DSCF0230.jpg

Tux

5 Year Member
ObsessionDragons said:
Tux said:

Well, thank you, Tux!

You know, you're exactly right about the eggs. Some fertiles are a very pale yellow, but are you saying you've seen really yellow fertiles? I've never witnessed one like that, so I just had to ask!

Oh, and another good sign of fertiles is if on the bottom, they have a little peachy colored "glow" to them. Now, the key is that you don't want to turn them to look for that glow, but move the egg up above you to see the underneath of it. Please, Tux, please tell me you've never seen that peachy glow in an infertile! :mrgreen:

Nope lol you totally got my drift when i said yellow i was talking about a slight tinge that could confuse new breeders, the white comes from calcification and some are a lil less white then others. That peachy color is growing blood vessels. I should also note that not turning them is so your embryo doesn't de-attach, drown etc. but sometimes if you get to it quick enough their still alright when turned.

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I knew it was dirt lol...
here are some pics of Wakka!!
wakka2-1.jpg

wakka-1.jpg

thats the daddy!! hopefuly they come out looking like he does :)

ObsessionDragons

5 Year Member
Tux said:
ObsessionDragons said:
Tux said:

Well, thank you, Tux!

Nope lol you totally got my drift when i said yellow i was talking about a slight tinge that could confuse new breeders, the white comes from calcification and some are a lil less white then others. That peachy color is growing blood vessels. I should also note that not turning them is so your embryo doesn't de-attach, drown etc. but sometimes if you get to it quick enough their still alright when turned.

Well, it's good to know that I got someone's drift besides my own!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602