• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Concerned Tegu Mom

babieedeer

Hello all!
i’m very new to this site/forum, but i’ve found it INCREDIBLY helpful.
i recently rescued a 1.5 year old male tegu. (argentine b&w). He’s been here for exactly 2 days, which i know isn’t a lot. i met him multiple times before adopting, & he’s very hand tame and friendly. however, since i’ve brought him home, he’s hid. sometimes when i’m out of the room he comes out and loves watching the kitties (he grew up with one), but i’ll come down and he’ll hide. i have my shirt in there, i’ve been misting, spending the majority of my days in his room, singing, talking to him. just everything i can do to make him comfy. he was on my lap on the way home & snuggled with me,& calmed right down with me after leaving his previous mom’s house, so i definitely believe he does sense comfort. i’m just worried, like any new mom, about doing enough. i read he goes through a week adjustment period, but the previous owner said to feed/bathe him this saturday(3 days after being here) & do a soak. i just want to make sure i’m doing things right, or if there’s anything i can do better. i just want to make sure if he is more depressed, i’m doing all the things i can to help it.

Thank you all!

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes all sounds normal and just like hes settling in........ Taking him out and getting your routine started, bathing him etc won't hurt but he might be happier in himself if you let him come round in his own time.

Hello all!
i’m very new to this site/forum, but i’ve found it INCREDIBLY helpful.
i recently rescued a 1.5 year old male tegu. (argentine b&w). He’s been here for exactly 2 days, which i know isn’t a lot. i met him multiple times before adopting, & he’s very hand tame and friendly. however, since i’ve brought him home, he’s hid. sometimes when i’m out of the room he comes out and loves watching the kitties (he grew up with one), but i’ll come down and he’ll hide. i have my shirt in there, i’ve been misting, spending the majority of my days in his room, singing, talking to him. just everything i can do to make him comfy. he was on my lap on the way home & snuggled with me,& calmed right down with me after leaving his previous mom’s house, so i definitely believe he does sense comfort. i’m just worried, like any new mom, about doing enough. i read he goes through a week adjustment period, but the previous owner said to feed/bathe him this saturday(3 days after being here) & do a soak. i just want to make sure i’m doing things right, or if there’s anything i can do better. i just want to make sure if he is more depressed, i’m doing all the things i can to help it.

Thank you all!
He will grab at 8 to you give him time!

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I liked Alpha's idea about letting him come around on his own....then the baths maybe. This is a whole new world to him, and he's scared and not secure yet. It shouldn't take long though - although at 1.5 yrs old, he's at the height of his puberty stage. So, considering that - He just might throw a prolonged fit that will take some patience. If the previous owner handled him a lot, maybe he'll just need a week or 2.

babieedeer

thank you guys! he’s actually coming around quite well, although i can definitely tell the puberty age is at its height. some days he really loves me and some days he doesn’t want anything to do with me, but that’s to be expected. here’s some up to date photos of him!

Attachments

• 5E79DEB5-4609-4426-838E-F88263BE8F26.jpeg
    5E79DEB5-4609-4426-838E-F88263BE8F26.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • D299E611-CD7B-45EA-84C3-63D97E83D015.jpeg
    D299E611-CD7B-45EA-84C3-63D97E83D015.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • 0DA9EC0B-A834-4319-8B43-4E8BB3038A79.jpeg
    0DA9EC0B-A834-4319-8B43-4E8BB3038A79.jpeg
    839.2 KB · Views: 17

Members online

No members online now.