• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Considering a Tegu

SJdport57

Hello! I'm a life-long reptile lover and keeper but I've always keep smaller reptiles. I've been slowly building up to something...bigger. I made the leap to monitor lizards with an Ackie over a year ago and I feel like I can take the next step. I know tegus are not the same as monitors but I am under the impression that they have similar intelligence and space requirements as "medium" monitors (savannahs). I'd like to start with a hatchling, keeping it in my Ackies' old enclosure until I move to a larger home next summer with a yard. I live in Austin, TX and am considering making a outdoor enclosure for the warmer months (over 8 months out of the year here). Ive been studying and thought I'd join the forum and continue my research here!

loweryrr

Cant go wrong with an argentine black and white tegu. Check out tegusonly.com. I can honestly say im happy with my tegu.

SJdport57

Thank you, I've look at that website and its videos many times. While I like his prices, I'm a little more partial to blues and blue hybrids (even though they can be pricy).

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Good luck and Be careful. Then. A lot of disreputables out there.

SJdport57

I will be, I'm looking closely at Underground Reptiles due to their good reputation and amazing looking animals. I've heard mixed reviews for tegusonly.com but I am interested in his CB hatchlings.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have three from tegus only, and would go to him for more if i wanted more. He gets two thumbs up from me.

SJdport57

So what is the average size of one of tegusonly lizards? Do they have different genetics due to coming from wild Florida stock or are they just typical B&W?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They're an interesting mix from wherever they were originally imported from and subsequently released and whatever role selection has played from living in south Florida. Some have red bellies= firebelly. Some are dark, some with more white, etc. Rodney can tell you how big some of his males are. My male from him is about 2.5 years old and 17 lbs. he's big but I wouldn't at all say overweight. So, different genes and are b&ws.

I sure like mine.

loweryrr

I got mine from tegusonly too. I will be using him anytime I want a tegu. Ask him if he has any that look like blues. All the ones in florida now were once from breeders so he may have some. He carries all sizes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam