• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Convincing Her to Open Her Mouth

Skeep

5 Year Member
Wow I haven't been on this forum for a while!

My tegu has an infection in her gums on one side of her mouth. I've taken her to the vet and gotten antibiotics to give her. At first she would happily open her mouth to get it cleaned out and to apply the antibiotics. She seemed to even like getting her mouth cleaned. But now she's decided she doesn't like it, maybe the medication tastes bad.

She's generally very easy to handle and doesn't hiss or bite, she just pulls away and keeps her mouth tightly shut! I've been bringing her out of hibernation so she'll heal faster, but that means she has more energy to resist making it even more challenging.

So! Does anyone know a good trick to get a tegu to open their mouth? I just need a few seconds at a time to make sure it's clean and that she gets a proper dose of antibiotics!

Any ideas are welcome, thanks!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome back Skeep. Good catch on the mouth infection. Might need an assistant for this. Speal gently, hold tegu firmly and ease a credit card into mouth. If you can then slide a pencil crossways to about the jaw hinge, like a horse's bit, he woun't be able to get it out of his mouth and close it.

Adramelec

5 Year Member
well.. i used an soft ball with some blood on it. but it must be a big enough ball so she could not eat it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam