• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Couple questions regarding babytegu. *new owner* *newbie too*

Chainsaws

Hi, so I bought a "less than a year" baby looking tegu from a certain gentleman. Actual age is unknown. But as soon as I moved him to new my house he was active for maybe 3 hours and then burrowed in. Meanwhile I set his enclosure up with hides,water dish,hammock, basking spot looking tree, etc. But the guy hasn't come out once. I struggled to keep his humidity up for couple days cuz its screen top but I finally got it good bless tin foil. I finally gave up last night and dug him out he got spooked for bit so I offered him food, ground Turkey, he didnt eat just went to basking spot, I tried to handle him ,he crawled up my arm and then crawled off and back to burrow. No food no drink :( is he tryna brumate? I'm just confused cuz I just come home to an empty cage that's it.

Help?
Tank. 48x12x18
Ambient temp 80.
Humidity is steady 75%now. was about 18-30 at previous owner.

rantology

It's possible he may have been brumating, it is that time of year. They also go through a transition period where they will burrow and become skittish until they become familiar with their new home. They can also become finnicky eaters during this period - its all normal. Give them a few weeks to settle in, keep offering food and keep up on doing a good job with the parameters. Try leaving a worn piece of clothing with your smell on it in their burrow to help with bonding. Leave food in a dish while you leave the room for a few hours to see if they are maybe to shy to eat while you are watching. Sounds like the previous owner wasn't taking very good care of the little thing so it may take a bit of extra time for them to come out of their shell.

Off the cuff recommendation, I got a wifi camera on my 'gu's enclosure and it helps a lot to track what hours of the day he's active during amongst other things. Highly recommend!

Chainsaws

Thank you for answering! I'll definitely give it more time I think I'm just used to "couple days" vs couple weeks of time. But gotta be patient

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced