• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Couple things

Diablo

5 Year Member
Yoshi went down about a week ago and I haven't seem him since but I have a few concerns.

First I fed him about 2 maybe 3 days before he went down and I'm worried that it's still in his stomach and I don't want it rotting in there. Should I wake him up to let him get it out, or should I not worry because he will know to do that?

Next is I keep having this paranoia that for some reason he escaped even though he has never escaped and he cannot get out of his cage. I just don't know if it would be worth it to sort of look into his hide to make sure or not.

I'm more worried about the food rotting though because I've heard others talk about it.

Logie_Bear

Same here with Ezzy. She had been slowing down for a while and the last day she was out (just over a week ago) she ate two mice. I'm also worried about food in her tum. :x

Diablo

5 Year Member
I'm not sure if it would be ok or not to just wake them up and maybe they will go poop? Hopefully someone who has been through this before can elaborate

ReptileGuy

That was the same with Flux. He was down for a week and today I started a warm bath and took him out of his hide to let him soak for about 30 minutes. If I get hate for that then I get hate. I'm not taking any chances. The weird thing is he didn't go back to sleep after and went looking for more food. It has been a few hours and he is just basking now....Hmmmm.

Diablo

5 Year Member
Well I just looked around in Yoshi's hide and he is buried WAY down under. I don't want to dig him up, I heard him huff from under the dirt though so I guess I woke him up. Not sure if he will stay down or not, but at least he is there.

ReptileGuy

Diablo said:
Well I just looked around in Yoshi's hide and he is buried WAY down under. I don't want to dig him up, I heard him huff from under the dirt though so I guess I woke him up. Not sure if he will stay down or not, but at least he is there.

Damn...Flux was just in his hide not even sleeping. If your really concerned I don't think there is any way he will come out on his own. Best of luck to you

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
In my opinion they know what they need to do. If they need to come up and poop they will. I say leave him alone and let him dictate what happens.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Sobek, my blue ate a crap ton one time and was down for the count the next day. I left him alone and two weeks later I find a massive load of stank sitting in his enclosure. He came up, did his business and went back down, all while I was away.

Diablo

5 Year Member
Yeah I think a couple weeks while he was slowing down he went down for a couple days and came back up to poop. So I'm gonna leave him alone. I'm just glad I know he is in there now, even if he got a little mad. Guess I'll see him in 5 or 6 months :/ anyone know if they come up sooner or not?

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Diablo said:
Yeah I think a couple weeks while he was slowing down he went down for a couple days and came back up to poop. So I'm gonna leave him alone. I'm just glad I know he is in there now, even if he got a little mad. Guess I'll see him in 5 or 6 months :/ anyone know if they come up sooner or not?

My old BW Bruce hibernated from the beginning of November and came up mid January. Sobek hibernated for all of Devember and one week of June. It all depends on the tegu I guess.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Niles is def down.not coming out at all...but before he was coming out, basking a bit, occasional drink...and i'd see small poops here and there. So i think they do come out and do what they need to for hibernation. When he kept coming out i was offering food here and there just in case and he was flatly refusing anything...so...yeah i think they just 'know ' what they need to do and do it.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980