• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Cuttlefishbone

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hey all ....... I've just bought loads of broken cuttlefish bone to throw in Alphas enclosure as its extremely high in calcium and I thought Alpha could lick and maybe nibble it....... Has anyone else heard or tried this??

I know you can do this for bird and turtles etc...... plus its an extra decoration i suppose.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Never heard of it for lizards, but why not?

Worth crushing some in the water bowl?

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I mean he always looks healthy and I'm not actually worried about his calcium intake ...... but I just thought it might be a little bit of entertainment to scratch, lick and nibble it off.

I hadn't thought of putting a bit in his water but good idea and if all else fails and it starts looking minging (bad) I'll just grind it all off myself into a powder.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I mean he always looks healthy and I'm not actually worried about his calcium intake ...... but I just thought it might be a little bit of entertainment to scratch, lick and nibble it off.

I hadn't thought of putting a bit in his water but good idea and if all else fails and it starts looking minging (bad) I'll just grind it all off myself into a powder.
I'd reckon he'd toss it around some because it's new, then forget it unless he actually likes the taste.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I know my parakeet used to love grinding them up ( cause it was bloody annoying).
Plus we had a similar kind of thing for our horses but in brick form and they loved them.

so we'll see but they won't go to waste anyway.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Hey all ....... I've just bought loads of broken cuttlefish bone to throw in Alphas enclosure as its extremely high in calcium and I thought Alpha could lick and maybe nibble it....... Has anyone else heard or tried this??

I know you can do this for bird and turtles etc...... plus its an extra decoration i suppose.

Is this a dried product? Send a pic if you get a chance....you guys got me thinking like crazy today after reading about hanging mice and chicken thighs etc. Wouldn't you worry about the brittle-ness of the bone, as opposed to the pliancy of the bones that they usually eat?

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes its the inner shell of a cuttlefish (Squid like creature) usually 4 X 2 inch oval, hard on 1 side and brittle calcium on the other.

When i suspended the chicken thigh i attached it by the bone securely so Alpha had to tear the meat off.... A full grown chicken thigh would defs be too big for alpha to handle.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Sorry - I meant wouldn't you worry about the brittle-ness of the "cuttlefish bone" being sharp or dangerous to ingest? Or are you not worried about that...

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
No I personally think it will be fine.... I did wonder about it being too sharp but then thought an egg shell is probably just as tuff and sharp if it catches correct and I don't think he'll just snap chunks off.

I also have no worries about ingestion problems cause If I remember right its about 90% calcium

Last edited:

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Thx - let me know how it goes! I was giving Skully some crushed up eggshell in a raw egg early on before he had his impaction probs, but stopped when he got sick. I really don't know if it caused any issue though. I actually think now that it had more to do with feeding 2 adult mice in a single feeding. I don't do that anymore either.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes ...I'll let you know if he shows any interest in it.

But I've also seen today on eBay people selling it ground up and listed as reptile and bird calcium.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980