• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

DHL SUXS!!

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
This suxs, that's all I can say. My local DHL has now changed hours, 11:30 AM-3:30 PM, and thats not all, they claim by using a plane they are loosing 600,000.00 a year. So, they now no longer use a plane to ship from Panama city to Pensacola, they are using a truck. This truck leaves at 5 PM, and drives for two hours to the Pensacola airport.

This means my live reptiles would be riding in the back of a truck 4 hours before sunset. There is no way that I am going to ship live animals at 5 PM on a truck as hot as it is here.

I was also told that FedEx does the same thing, so that leaves UPS, and they suck here, or USPS, these are the only two that fly out of Panama city and they use the same exact plane. And I know about USPS, I would be shipping young tegus, and they are allowed.

Nero

5 Year Member
I would just google it on the net and see if there is any small shipping company in your state.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have no choice, I have no waver for UPS for shipping reptiles, I am going to ship through USPS. If I apply for a waver through UPS it could take months, I also hate dealing with them here. I have had more problems with getting packages through them then any of the other companies here.

So yes Brooks, there is a problem, but it is solved now and I will start shipping Giants on Monday the 14th. I will ship through USPS and guarantee live arrival, as long as you are home on the first delivery attempt.

However, if it is over 90s in your area, you need to contact me and let me know this. If it is hotter then 90, you might need to do a pickup at your local post office. We can put a hold on the package.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
I myself would rather use USPS. My mail runs early in the morning and I get my packages held at the post office. They call me at 7:00 am . I go pick them up. It works great and cost much less. I don't trust the mail carriers so I always pick mine up.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
VARNYARD said:
I have no choice, I have no waver for UPS for shipping reptiles, I am going to ship through USPS. If I apply for a waver through UPS it could take months, I also hate dealing with them here. I have had more problems with getting packages through them then any of the other companies here.

So yes Brooks, there is a problem, but it is solved now and I will start shipping Giants on Monday the 14th. I will ship through USPS and guarantee live arrival, as long as you are home on the first delivery attempt.

However, if it is over 90s in your area, you need to contact me and let me know this. If it is hotter then 90, you might need to do a pickup at your local post office. We can put a hold on the package.

It has been pretty durned hot, but not in the 90's, luckily. Ship as you normally do :)

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
getting hot

We're getting low-mid 90s most days here, except when it's overcast. Let me know when you plan on shipping mine so i can take a sick day Bobby :-D

Kharnifex

5 Year Member
coming to my work usps's delivery is around 11:00 to 12:30
right now i believe it's mid to high 80's by then. please e-mail me when you ship so i'll know to stay at work during lunch if it doesn't arrive before hand.

Kharnifex_ _@_ _live_.com

underscores are to protect my email from evildoers

argus333

5 Year Member
express mail is guaranteed by noon next day in lower 48 if dropped off before 10am . so if bobby drops off package at 9am mon youll get it by noon tues. there is also sun delivery for a extra charge but sun is by 3 pm. but if u call your local po u can usually pick it up even earlier mon - sat.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
argus333 said:
express mail is guaranteed by noon next day in lower 48 if dropped off before 10am . so if bobby drops off package at 9am mon youll get it by noon tues. there is also sun delivery for a extra charge but sun is by 3 pm. but if u call your local po u can usually pick it up even earlier mon - sat.

I will be shipping all of the Extremes that are paid in full on Monday 14th of July, that is this coming Monday.

If your temps are 90*F or above you will be requested to pick it up at your local post office:

Express Mail Hold For Pickup

Express Mail Post Office to Post Office is now named Express Mail Hold For Pickup.
Express Mail Hold For Pickup can be mailed from all post offices and 2,495 Automated Postal Centers.
Express Mail Hold For Pickup can be picked up from approximately 31,000 post offices nationwide.
Express Mail Hold For Pickup will be available for pickup by customers by 10 a.m., Noon., or 3 p.m. depending on destination.
The Express Mail Hold For Pickup service will include automated callback notifications to customers about the arrival status of their shipments.
The prices for Express Mail Post Office to Addressee and Express Mail Hold For Pickup will now be the same and will no longer be based on weight, but on zone and weight.
Express Mail Hold For Pickup will provide our customers the convenience of being able to pick up their shipments according to their schedule, while knowing that their items are being held in a safe and secure environment.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
argus333 said:

That's one of the problems I have right there. You have to drop off by 10am and then your package sits within the PO system the whole time. You want the reptile to be in transit with little time as possible. Normal case scenario with UPS/FedEX is you drop off by 4-5pm and it arrives next day by 10:30 am guaranteed. I do not want my reptiles sitting in a truck/plane/office from 9am to noon the next day. Way too long for me in these warmer months.

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
I don't mind usps. I havent had any problems with them. I've even talked to the management crews about shipping reptiles and they are very safe. They told me that if Fragile is written on the package, or if Live Animal, then they box is placed either at the top of the shipment in the trucks, or in the front if its a live animal.

Beazer

5 Year Member
I hate DHL, Ive seen a guy park a van infront of a place with live animals during summer here in AZ and go over to grab some lunch. Also, all the drivers here look like crack addicts and act like them lol. Atleast here, DHL is really unprofessional.

-Jon DeLong

argus333

5 Year Member
for a package to move threw the system within 24 hrs it has to move right away it cannot sit in the po for hours at a time, it goes the same for ups and fed ex and dhl. all work on the same princable. but one big differnce express mail can also ride on passenger planes as well as ups and fed ex planes. ive worked for fed ex and ups all have there problems fed ex is the fastest but has the most lost packages and damage ups is fast but expensive and does not like to take reptiles at all. dhl is expensive and breaks a lot of stuff and keep in mind half of dhl packages are deliverd by the usps.

argus333

5 Year Member
first of all for a package to get threw the system in 24 hours it cannot sit in a post office. and no it does not sit there all day... express mail moves separate then all other mail and is deliver seperate. all shippers have there problems fed ex has the most lost parcels and the most damage and most missed deadlines but they are the fastest by far but at what cost??? ups is good but far the most expensive and will outright refuse any animals of any kind. dhl is ok but the usps delivers half of there packages anyway. also usps express can go on any plane fed ex, ups, and passenger also to ensure it moves quickly. i had the biggest reptile loss with ups they lost 2 cuban iguanas on me 3 yrs ago and welched o the insurance. its a risk no matter who u use no matter what plain and simple.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well, I gave USPS another chance and they still dropped the ball. All my experiences with them have been unsatisfactory to some extent or another.

My tegu's came in safe and sound but the USPS ignored the Hold At PO that was properly requested on Bobby's end. It was even labeled with stickers, all over the box, to hold and call my phone number when it arrived. I went up to the PO and spoke to a rep. looking for it at 10 AM and he even had me leave my name , address and phone #. Two hours later, no phone call, my door bell rings with the mailman delivering the tegu's. What happen to holding it at the PO? The weather is hot here and there was potential for disaster. I am just displeased once again with USPS.

However, I am very pleased with Bobby and my tegu's! They are awesome. Thank's Bobby!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam