• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Do you keep your tegu hatchling in a quiet room or a busy room to tame

Bram040

Hello guys let me introduce myself since im new here, my name is Bram (29) from holland (so excuses for any miss spellings or gramatics), and since 3 weeks ive got an colombian tegu, she is like 30 cm long (around 15-20"?)
He now shares his room with 2 cornsnakes and a chair and thats it, the room is upstairs and verry quiet, so the only thing moving that he sees all day is me opening that HUGE door of the room and than comming in to mess with his waterbowl and stuff and put down his food bowl. When the door open its kinda ok, but when i set 1 foot in de room he shoots away.
I was wondering if i should move him to the livingroom( ive got plenty of room there)
If hes in the living room it will be much less quiet for him(much more alround movement wich is not directed to him) and sure he will be skittish and scared even at first but and this is the question. Will he get used to people and the surounding house faster?

Ive seen it work with my parents cats, put 2 super shy new kittens in a small house with 2 dogs and and 2 other cats (verry busy), and just put em down and goodluck. 1 month of hinding and hissing haha and now the smalllest shyest kitten even attacks the dog to play, point is if there dropped in an busy environment will they addapt to that? And become more tolerant in busy situations

Now i know tegus are NOT kittens but i was wondering if it could help with being so skittish.
Do the people with good tegu successes keep there tegus(when they were young anyway) in quiet seperate rooms? Or in kinda busy living/bedrooms?
Will they get used to situations with more people or/and other pets like cats or dogs
Better, or will he be terrified all the time and become verry agressive towards everything?
Or are both outcomes possible depending on the character of the tegu?

Last edited:

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome. Some are better in one situation than another. Still, either works as long as a secure hide is in place and lights out is dark.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Mine arrived as WC teenagers. They live in an outdoor large pen for 6-7 mo. the indide for a cool winter's rest.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980