• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Early brumation?

Amy Broxham

Louie is really lethargic and doesn't have much of an appetite. He slept for 2 days so I woke him up to feed him. He doesn't want it. It's August., not November.

Roadkill

5 Year Member
From my research on tegus in South America, we observed that tegus start preparing for brumation/hibernation far earlier than many would have thought. Shortly after the summer solstice you are likely to start seeing progressive decreases in food consumption, basking, and general activity, and progressive increases in sleeping and whole days spent in their burrows. The summer solstice this year in the northern hemisphere was June 20 so if this is preparation for brumation, this is on track.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Their internal clock is ticking and the days are already getting shorter. It's amazing how aware of it they are. I wouldn't fight it - I've never heard of it being a November thing. September wouldn't surprise me at all - shorter days, cooler...he's not that far off! I already spoke to someone about the days getting shorter and changing when I go walk.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602