• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Early Hibernation

Odonata

Over the last few weeks shadow has been out less and less. Feeding slowed down, and she now has not been out for 5 days. I think she has decided to hibernate early. This seems odd as last year it was the end of October before this occurred. It has been a somewhat unusual summer weather wise, though it is hard to understand how that could effect a lizard in a controlled environment (though they clearly have their own internal clocks in some regards). Last check Shadow was something like 42 or 43" long and around 7-8lbs if I remember correctly. She looks very solid and healthy so I have no concerns on that front.

Mostly I was just hoping to see more of her before she went down, as she has really become such a pleasure and quite a character. Wondering if any others are seeing early signs of hibernation.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My favorite girl is slowing down. But it is 92 high and 80 low here still. She is in that stage where she gets picky about her food and is less active. I have a yearling that is slowing down, too.

Sharm1

Same here with my red. He wakes up late, doesnt want to eat as often (less than 50% of what he used to eat) and goes to sleep early. I let him be though. If he keeps going like this I will cut down the light. No need to have it on when he wants to sleep

Skeetzy

My guy hibernated on 9/11 last year, and he's not coming out as much as before. He's already skipped a few days of eating on his own. I anticipate an early winter for him also. Seems like he just woke up yesterday!

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I wonder if there is a hereditary component to hibernation times as well. The yearling I have is a sibling of yours, Skeetzy.

Skeetzy

It's definitely a possibility. Thought my guys wasn't coming out today, for the second day in a row. But he came out, gobbled up a mouse, and is in full shed. Actually sat still to let me peel off a lot of the loose skin, I was shocked.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam