• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

earth worms

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
does anyone know if they are a good food source? i read that they are a good source of calcium. i would like to start feeding them to some of my pets if they are?

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They have no bones and few nerves so i'd imagin their calcium levels are almost zero. But they are very high in protein.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
i was wondering about that, i read on another forum that they are high in calcium and i was trying to figure out how. but arent silk worms high in calcium? there is a website(cant remember the name ) and they have worms called calciworms, has anyone ever heard of them?

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ya calciworms or pheniox worms do have a higer ca % but they are so small that for tegus it would cost way too much to feed them as a stable food, its easier to just dust feeders and then switch to whole mamal prey. I don't know about silkworms or hornworm themsevles, but the commercial gut load they are feed is what has the ca in it, which is why they are considered higher in ca.

Insects in general are low in calcium and thats just because there is no bones in them which is a major sorce of calcium in animals.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
lol ok for a breadie and leo they would be a good addition.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.calciworms.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.calciworms.com/</a><!-- m -->
they are marketed through timberline feeders and petco seems to be stocking them. they are about the size of a small wax worms and are a softbodied worm.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602