• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Easing a Tegu out of Hibernation?

Shreve

My juvenile Argentine red tegu has been in hibernation since December 14th and has come out every so often to eat or sunbathe, I'm meaning for a few hours every few weeks. I recently cleaned and reorganized the tank after a move, and it went right back to bed after poking around. The temperature and lighting schedule of the tank has always been consistent. Is there a way to ease a tegu out of hibernation, or should I just let it run it's course? I don't want to do anything bad fot it's health

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You've just probably freaked him out moving his world round....... Kinda like if you went to sleep and then woke in a total different house that you didn't know...... let him figure it out himself.

After Winter in general You'll usually find that you have to reacquaint yourself with them for a couple of week just to settle back to routine...... or I do anyway.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Definitely dazed, like they aren't sure where they are anymore. Brumating is really strange. Beardies are even dazed and look at you after years as if it's the first time they've ever seen you, and they're naturally more defensive. Best to let them lead that act.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Definitely dazed, like they aren't sure where they are anymore. Brumating is really strange. Beardies are even dazed and look at you after years as if it's the first time they've ever seen you, and they're naturally more defensive. Best to let them lead that act.
Exactly.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced