• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Eating Enough?

Mutablekitty

I've had my Tegu for a little over 2 weeks now. He eats occasionally but I'm worried he isn't eating enough. I socialize him when I can. He isn't aggressive or anything but our schedules don't always match up and when that happens I leave some food out for him to munch on but he doesn't seem to want to eat it. He has eaten a pinky mouse while in my care but I left the room when he did. I know he ate it because it had completely disappeared not just moved into his substrate. I'm worried he isn't eating enough, when I have him out he is very active and curious. Besides the pinky mouse he has had some fruit as well( banana and blueberries), I've tried chicken but he wasn't interested. Is it normal for a 5month old tegu to eat so little???

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
2 weeks really isn't long to start worrying, especially when he is new to your care ..... I would imagine that maybe hes still figuring his new life out and is just a little bit food cautious/shy.

Mutablekitty

2 weeks really isn't long to start worrying, especially when he is new to your care ..... I would imagine that maybe hes still figuring his new life out and is just a little bit food cautious/shy.
I believe you may be right about the food cautious/shy. I left some chicken pieces in his enclosure, left the room for a bit, came back and they had disappeared! Is there any way I can work with him on this or will it just take time?

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Things will just build overtime as you become more comfortable with each other.