• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Eco Earth Only tank

Zyn

Yes eco earth is great for babies and adults.

And we’re not really the bashing types around here eco earth which is coco husk is one of the safer options. While it cost a bit more I like it lot more than mulch. The coco fibers are small enough that if injested they pass through the systems without any issues if properly hydrated. I mix my bedding part eco earth part organic potting soil.

Last edited:

JohnGinnIII

Thank you for the info. Why don't you like mulch I was thinking of mixing my cypress mulch with my eco earth. Is that okay or is it pointless? Also do you have a tegu?

JohnGinnIII

I believe that the substrate I am using and Zyn use is okay. I would just try and stick to eco earth and soil like substrates. Nothing like bark or Cypress Mulch because you risk the tegu swallowing a piece of bark or mulch.

JohnGinnIII

I have another question, where is the best place to put the basking light. Is it okay to put it above the hide, or should I get a brick or rock for him to lay on as a basking spot.

Zyn

I’d get some 12x12 tile. The tile will absorb the heat and help the basking process just be sure to test surface temp, and adjust the lights distance accordingly. Also I’d keep the hide on the cool side

JohnGinnIII

Okay Great thanks for telling me that. I also was thinking of getting a 160 watt powersun for my tegu. I know they have uvb installed also. I wanted to know did I have to get any other lights? Like for night time. I thought I could use the powersun as a basking bulb, heat source, and has Uva. Am i wrong? Or are there additional light I need.

JohnGinnIII

Btw This is for a 40 Breeder tank, I will move him into his enclosure when he is bigger. I don't want to burn him up. It seems doing more research is bringing on more questions.

Zyn

A lot of people love their powersuns and megareys maybe I’m to rough lol but they are very fragile. I use a 100w outdoor rated spot light with a dimmer for my hot spot and a uvb strip along the side. I don’t use anything at night he’s borrowing and sleeping.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced