• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Eddies first time out (pic heavy)

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Today I finally took Eddie out of his cage. I've had him for a little while and decided to start the handling process.

I climbed into his enclosure and sat in there for a little bit. He slowly came out of his hide and would walk back and forth in front of me but careful not to come too close. Finally he hopped onto his basking rocks and I grabbed him. Lots of flailing and poop at first, good thing I gloved up. I brought him into the bathroom and let him sit in the tub for a few to calm down. After a few minutes I picked him back up and held him for a while. When I was positive he was done pooping I ditched the gloves which seemed to help even more. He was very mellow, I barely needed to hang on to him, it was more like him clinging to me. I had him out for about a half hour, then put him back and gave him some food.

Thanks to Rob and TeguBuzz for helping. He's a lot bigger outside of the enclosure. I would guess hes about 26". I had no idea he could store so much poop. Anyway, here are some pics :p. He's looking a little dull, I wouldn't be surprised if he starts shedding again.

M5Qsc.jpg

s6Xfe.jpg

EJcte.jpg

3bFss.jpg

zLsqv.jpg

0ohRy.jpg

3eea9.jpg

zYC0q.jpg

PKDMr.jpg

Steven.

Whoa that's a nice iggy... I wish you the best of luck with him. From what I've learned since i got rango... Is once they get use to you. You got an amazing pet for life.. Until breeding season lol

sent from my phone to your eyes

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks everyone. Yeah he's some kind of rock iguana. He's only a year and a half-ish so he's got a lotta growing to do :)

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thank you! And thanks to your company for helping me get him delivered lol

RobK.

rhetoricx said:
Lots of flailing and poop at first, good thing I gloved up.

:) get use to it , more to come LOL

I have been covered in poop . down my neck , all over the front of me , you name it . What i do now is put a tub of warm water in his cage , or i put a tub in the bathtub and he poops in it , then flush it . No more poop problems . yours may thrash a little at first but he will get use to that also . when i soak mine he has already gone in a plastic tub , so the bath water is clean .

pottingtraingroni.jpg

hemipenis.jpg

pottingtraing2.jpg

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I can't get mine to go near water.. I have a water dish (which I switch daily) but I have never seen him go near it. I always put his food dish next to it but thats as close as he gets. When I spray/mist his enclosure he freaks out and hides as soon as any water touches him. I've put him in the tub a couple times with a very small amount of water and he's pooped but then he starts flailing around again.
Handling has been going well though, still a little uneasy when I first start to touch him but he calms down pretty quickly.

RobK.

rhetoricx said:
I can't get mine to go near water.. I have a water dish (which I switch daily) but I have never seen him go near it. I always put his food dish next to it but thats as close as he gets. When I spray/mist his enclosure he freaks out and hides as soon as any water touches him. I've put him in the tub a couple times with a very small amount of water and he's pooped but then he starts flailing around again.
Handling has been going well though, still a little uneasy when I first start to touch him but he calms down pretty quickly.

sounds like he's doing GREAT !!

Mine hated water at first , but SLOWLY got use to it . Best thing you can do IMO is work on getting him hand fed IF you can . With mine as soon as i did that it was like you turned a switch , he calmed right down . Then i started holding him more and more while feeding him . Banana works best for training Roni to eat out of my hand . Even if it off a long stick at first , he will still know its coming from you . they are REAL SMART .

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Good to know things are going well with Eddie, keep up the handling! Buzz use to be terrified of water and only started getting used to it through time. I'm sure Eddie will come around to it!

RobK.

rhetoricx said:
Thanks everyone. Yeah he's some kind of rock iguana. He's only a year and a half-ish so he's got a lotta growing to do :)

in a blink of a eye he will be huge !!

TeguBuzz said:
Good to know things are going well with Eddie, keep up the handling! Buzz use to be terrified of water and only started getting used to it through time. I'm sure Eddie will come around to it!

Roni's not a water lover , but he doesn't get stressed or mad , every time i give him a bath he tries to climb out , then calms down .

ronibathtime3012.jpg

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Progress is going back and forth. Some days he's fine, other days he doesn't want anything to do with me. I think there are still a few days where he's not coming out. I can't be 100% sure because I'm not always out there. He's eating like a champ sometimes I end up feeding him twice a day. Hopefully I can get some pictures soon. He doesn't seem to be getting a ton of length but he's definitely getting wider.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That length will definitely start kicking in given time. My Buzz grew at an insane rate from when I moved him outside, and gains about 2lbs of weight every month. With my new female, I'm hoping she starts doing the same thing. Buzz and her seem to be getting a long great, still trying to pick a name though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602