• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Empty 30 gal tank what goes in it??

F69erFred

5 Year Member
I have a empty 30 gal tank and I want to put a big snake in there. What snake do you think I should put in it? I'm think anaconda or retic. Well of course baby ones. They will prolly be people telling me don't get anaconda or retic but I want something big. So what snake do you think should go in it?

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think you may have very poorly described your situation...

The fact you have an empty 30 gal tank laying around is a horrible reason/motive to get a snake that will exceed 12' and live for 20+ years...

But if you want a very large snake, you truly understand the responsibilities of keeping such an animal, you are confident you will be able to supply the proper habitat, food and other care needed... then sure, get one...

But I must mention, that based on what you have provided here, it doesn't sound like your really ready...

I think you should get something that can happily live out it's life in a 30 gal tank...

F69erFred

5 Year Member
New there was going to be some who told me not to. I have always wanted a big snake and sense my tegu got a new tank I have the 30 left so a snake that I have been waiting for. And yes my cage will be rite for the snake. Like if I get a green conda the cage setup will be; for beding will be Aspen, water will have a big tube to soke in hides will be a log and a undertake heater. And or all that will be a show crutten to keep humity in.

TeguKid80

5 Year Member
Yeah you're officially someone who cannot function while making decisions. You can't simply get a giant snake on a whim. It takes months of planning and cage building. So buy some anoles or set up a terrarium for frogs or something.

F69erFred

5 Year Member
You act like it's that hard to set up for a snake all that takes like a day or tWo. And build a cage WTF are you kidding me why would I build a cage for a baby that would do ok in a 20 gal. A snake needs a cage half it size will work.

Kelepingon

I have been planing on getting a Tegu for the past 2 months, preparing myself for a big responsibility. I have a 40 gallon breeder for a while now and I could have gotten one already but I'm making sure everything is perfect. This is my first Tegu so cant make mistakes.

If you feel you are prepared for a large snake just make sure you have a larger cage in mind for the snake later on, Large snakes grow fast with proper feeding/heating.

nemo66

5 Year Member
omg tegutalk drama again. some one always has something negative to say. the dude said he has been wanting a big snake for some time so i would assume hes done some studying and a 8ftx30inx18in would be fine. i mean a larger enclosure would be better but an 8 ft would meat the minimum requirements.
i say if you have studyd and know what your getting into the 30 gallon will be fine for a baby. just remember when it gets 12 or so feet you will need an assistant when handling it

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
F69erFred said:
Every breeder that I have talked to said that would be ok.

and every car salesmen will tell you that you can easily make the payments...

That is because they are tryign to sell you something...

F69erFred said:
Yes 8ftx30inx18in

Have you ever seen a 15'+ snake coiled up? It's a 3~4' diameter pile of snake. So at less than "full grown" your snake would take up over 50% of your floor space.

nemo66 said:
omg tegutalk drama again.

Drama? someone asked a questions and other's gave logical responses... n oneed to turn that into drama...

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
F69erFred said:
But in the cage there is still space for the snake to move around had have space.

Not really...

F69erFred said:
Yes 8ftx30inx18in

At 16' long the snake would go from one end to the other twice...

A Green Anaconda or Retic Python can easily be 9" in diameter at the middle. This means at 16' long it's belly would be touching both the front and the back of the tank at one end...

Paint that picture in your mind and tell me how much room that animal has to "move around"...

Now include a proper water container in that picture...

An Adult Anaconda or Retic kept in a cage like that would hate being in it's cage and would likely overpower you when you tried to stuff it in it's box.

I'm not trying to talk you out of getting a big snake... I'm trying to help you understand what keepign a big snake will truly entail.

If your still convinced you can provide for it... now start thinking about how long it's going to live and how much your life is going to change over the course of that time. It's easy to daydream of how nice it will be to have such an animal now, but imageine yourself 5, 10 or 15 years from now when you have a full time job, a wife and a 5 year old kid...

It's the people that fail to think it through that end up letting the snake go in the everglades... So all I'm saying is think it through...

F69erFred

5 Year Member
Well An adult male anaconda gets about 8-12ft. The retic is the big boy. Well if I got a 30 gal now that can mayb last a year so that will give me alot of time to build or buy a cage.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
in my own opinion if you can provide cage large enough for an adult anaconda when it reaches its adult size and can properly house a baby i see no reason not to go for it. im pretty sure he has done his homework on these snakes. after all its his choice to get one or not, no one here has to deal with the snake but him.

kaa

5 Year Member

At 16' long the snake would go from one end to the other twice..

The rule of thumb is that the cage be half the length of the snake, a quarter the length for the thickness, and the height for a terrestrial snake isn't too important, but I would say at least twice the thickness of the snake.

So, for a 16 foot snake, 9 inches thick. the cage should be 8'X2'X1.5' at the least. So His measurements are good, and they are the same measurements that the anaconda breeders that I have talked to recommend. remember these are snakes, not lizards, a snake prefers a cramped cage over a spacious one.

Put a snake in a large cage, put a big hide, and a small tight hide in the cage, you are going to find the snake either in the tightest spot, or the warmest spot.

A Green Anaconda or Retic Python can easily be 9" in diameter at the middle. This means at 16' long it's belly would be touching both the front and the back of the tank at one end...

I'm not sure if you misread his demensions, but if the diameter is 9 inches, and the cage is 30 inches deep, then the snake would have to be bent about 4 times for this to be so.

Paint that picture in your mind and tell me how much room that animal has to "move around"...

Again, snakes like small tight areas.

Now include a proper water container in that picture...

the idea that an anaconda requires a pool, is a common misconception, and I hope that anyone looking into these animals does there research before getting one. a large dish encourages long periods of soaking, and if they defecate in the water, they can get all sorts of blisters and scale rot, so it is almost more important to have a smaller dish. unless you want to change the water daily.

An Adult Anaconda or Retic kept in a cage like that would hate being in it's cage and would likely overpower you when you tried to stuff it in it's box.

Again, it's not a lizard, so it would prefer a small "Box"

I'm not trying to talk you out of getting a big snake... I'm trying to help you understand what keeping a big snake will truly entail.

I understand not wanting someone to get something that they can't take care of, but I find it is better to just let them know what it entails, rather than talking down to them and telling them that they will not be able to take care of the snake. And I don't mean to sound rude, but it sounds like you are giving a lecture on lizard keeping, and not snake keeping. These animals are vastly different in there care.

If your still convinced you can provide for it... now start thinking about how long it's going to live and how much your life is going to change over the course of that time. It's easy to daydream of how nice it will be to have such an animal now, but imageine yourself 5, 10 or 15 years from now when you have a full time job, a wife and a 5 year old kid...

I will agree with you on this part, the big picture is always most important now, You should try to think about how this animal will be cared for in the long run.

It's the people that fail to think it through that end up letting the snake go in the everglades... So all I'm saying is think it through...

Yes, think it through. But this should be done with any animal, even a dog. I am sorry if I have stepped on any toes here, but I would rather people feel welcomed on the forum, and feel like they can ask questions without being castrated for the questions asked. I know this guy has asked about alot of different animals, but would you rather him just get the animal, and be afraid to ask for help? I would not. I will help as much as I can. And I do it as nice as I can, for the animals, not the people. F69erfred, You can pm me anytime with questions, if I can't answer them, I will point you in the direction of someone who can.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonny