• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Enclosure and lights

Belladonna

hey yall. Im having a hard time figuring out what type of lights to have in the enclosure. I decided to go with a boamaster enclosure (anyone have any experience with them or have a better option, please let me know ) and I was still confused about the kind of lights the enclosure needs.
What do you use for the hot side of your enclosures? Heat panel or a lamp? Do you also have an UTH for the hot side?
I just need some options bc I'm having a hard time knowing what to do lol (I need help!)
Also what sizes are your enclosures? Is 6x3x3 too small and should I go for the 8x3? I also plan on getting a juvenile tegu from tegusonly(any reason not to go through him, I'm all ears) would the enclosure be to big to keep him in? I'd rather get the enclosure I need in the long run than having to buy a starter cage.
Ahhhh please help me! I don't have a tegu just yet as I'm getting all the stuff together before hand. (obviously )
Any and all help would be so welcome

Attachments

• B2A61F1D-22DC-49F5-8BC0-835AA2C2D6A2.jpeg
    B2A61F1D-22DC-49F5-8BC0-835AA2C2D6A2.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 33

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi,

Bigger is better in enclosures, and Rodney is a superb source. Others would be better to chime in on lights.

Guman

I too am working on enclosure set up. I will just tell you about mine. First, we built our own and it is plywood, two by fours, and plexie glass front. The size is 8*4*4 I agree with Walter go as big as possible. We are using a ceramic heater hung from the roof, 36" lights t5's with Arcadia 14℅bulbs. The Arcadia lights are guaranteed UVB for a year and the 14% must be hung a maximum of 2 foot away! They are very strong. Hope on over to Reptile Basics and check out their selection. I have had amazing customer service from them!! Currently, I have two lights but ordered two more yesterday. This will cover about three foot of cage in the light. Our gue also has a dome light on the basking side. The basking side is covered with 12" pavers and we currently have a paper substrate on the other side. We wanted to use a cleaner option and watch him because we had problems with him prolapsing last year.

Waters

hey yall. Im having a hard time figuring out what type of lights to have in the enclosure. I decided to go with a boamaster enclosure (anyone have any experience with them or have a better option, please let me know ) and I was still confused about the kind of lights the enclosure needs.
What do you use for the hot side of your enclosures? Heat panel or a lamp? Do you also have an UTH for the hot side?
I just need some options bc I'm having a hard time knowing what to do lol (I need help!)
Also what sizes are your enclosures? Is 6x3x3 too small and should I go for the 8x3? I also plan on getting a juvenile tegu from tegusonly(any reason not to go through him, I'm all ears) would the enclosure be to big to keep him in? I'd rather get the enclosure I need in the long run than having to buy a starter cage.
Ahhhh please help me! I don't have a tegu just yet as I'm getting all the stuff together before hand. (obviously )
Any and all help would be so welcome
Your hot side can be any combination of basking bulbs, or regular flood lamps from a home improvement store. Yes, you want your UV lights to overlap that area, since that will be where the Tegu is closest to the light, and will spend a lot of time. The further away you get from the UV, the less effective it is. As far as the size, I would shoot for a minimum of 8X4 to avoid having to upgrade down the road.

MasterJedi

For start I built Tiberius a 5x5x5 enclosure with extension once he grow bigger plus he have the entire room for himself to roam and climb. Heat lamp I bought 250 watts in Walmart it generating between 90-125 basking heat. UVB lights lamp I have 2 separate setup., one in the middle and the other on the side. They are 100 watts UVB light bulb. U can also use a long tube UVB. The advantage of long tube UVB that it cover wider range than bulb but in can be pricy. However if money not an issue, go for it. If money is the issue? Amazon sell long tube panel for $10 less than Petsmart. If u decided to go with bulb,. U must have at least 2 UVB lamps and 2 heat lamps one for daytime and one for night. My house get warm enough in the evening and really don’t need 2 heat lamp. I just turn it off at night or use a timer. Hope this info is useful. Goodluck

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam