• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Enclosures - Free Roaming with Enclosure Essentials

BKing

Hi everyone,

So I've been reading up on enclosures and wanted to share some of the things I've discovered and open the conversation for questions and concerns I currently have.

I read on a thread that because Birds are one of Tegus natural predators, any interaction from above will always scare them (unless they are already used to it) because it mimics the behavior of being swarmed in on by a bird. so is it TRUE that tanks and any type of top-opening enclosures are not recommended for a Tegu for this reason? It may vary I'm not sure.

Secondly, since I've read that, I've been rethinking my current enclosure which is a 75-gallon tank (for a 5-inch hatchling who I want to eventually be my best friend! I don't want him thinking I'm a bird that's trying to eat him all the time. lol). He is still in his 'new arrival' state, very skittish but he's eating cal-dusted chicken once a day now so I am happy about that. But I am feeling like I should have something side opening since reading that thread. What do you think?

With that, I was going to build him one of these, which I am absolutely in love with (I love innovative ideas like this)
https://tegutalk.com/threads/grow-tent-enclosure-with-progress-photos.19923/#post-170034

BUT...I do not have a CLEAR space in my house, near an outlet where I can SAFELY keep him. The best area is 6'+ long by 3' wide and I'm not reading anywhere where 3 feet would be enough for a full grown possible male Tegu. so if I went smaller it would have to be temporary.

Sooo.. with that, I wanted to know if he could free roam my bedroom with enclosure essentials set up around it. my issue is that my bedroom is like 60% bed and a large enclosure wouldn't fit in it but the rest of the room and even underneath my bed is clear floor space(i have a high king-sized bed); this seems like pure motivation to keep my room and floors clear and clean).

I was thinking of a swanky basking area of 95 to 110, with access to drinking and bathing water, plant life and a few hiding spots. I don't mind my room being 75 to 80 throughout the day, I live in Chicago where the weather changes literally every day outside and my room is in the basement which is always cold so I can appreciate the heat. Right now he is in my room in the tank and I am quite amazed at how I've managed to keep the room temp in the 70s and 80s considering just outside my door feels like low 60s sometimes. I only use my room for sleeping and changing so it'd actually be like 20% my room and 80% his.

What do you all think? I have about a year until this plan is actually implemented but let me know your thoughts on it.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Although the info you've read on birds is true, I believe its not a good enough reason not to have a top opener, I have one.

If I was in your situation....I personally would build an enclosure as big as you possibly can with basking area / hot temps / high humidity in and then put hole in just the size of your buddy so he can exit and enter as he pleases. Its quite hard to regulate humidity just in a house room and could cause a lot of damage.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602