• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Establishing trust

UnicornsNbattz

Does anyone have a list of things to do to establish trust in the best way possible ?

I’m already making sure he gets to see me a lot a day in that time i sometimes open he’s terra . And he will come out on his own and wanders around in the reptileroom . I’ll sit on the floor while he’s wandering .. sometimes he comes near me , and then walks away
Again .

I also have a shirt with my scent in he’s terra .

Thank you for your time

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That's about what they do. make sure you talk to him. You can also pick him up from either side of him, set him in your lap and cover his head with your shirt.

UnicornsNbattz

Thank you !

But that is the point where i struggle . A lot of people say that handling before establishing trust , is absolutely not done .

So now I’m scared to pick him up because I don’t wanna force him to do anything .

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Fair enough. If he's new, say up to a few weeks, I work on scratching its neck or chin, always from side or underneat. Above seems too much like a hawk!

Beyond that time, if he's not scared of you, I'd begin picking him up with good support to put him some place, luke a few feet from wher he was while talking to him. Does this help?

UnicornsNbattz

Fair enough. If he's new, say up to a few weeks, I work on scratching its neck or chin, always from side or underneat. Above seems too much like a hawk!

Beyond that time, if he's not scared of you, I'd begin picking him up with good support to put him some place, luke a few feet from wher he was while talking to him. Does this help?

A lot actually ! Thank you so much for your fast feed back .

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I always talk...but, also make a certain repeating sound (like a squirrel chirp) when I want to pick up/pet. I think it helps to let Jezebel know it's me and what to expect next...could be my imagination but, she always turns her head ! I make a different sound for feeding...same reason.
That's a great idea. They get association well

UnicornsNbattz

I always talk...but, also make a certain repeating sound (like a squirrel chirp) when I want to pick up/pet. I think it helps to let Jezebel know it's me and what to expect next...could be my imagination but, she always turns her head ! I make a different sound for feeding...same reason.

I’m definetly going to try this ! Thank you for the advice .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam