• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Expanding foam and painted mortar background

Shenanigaens

I start building Chateau le Gu today and I want to do a lot of foam and mortar stuff. Has anyone tried it with their Tegu’s, and if so, how did it hold up? I think if I went thicker painting it on, maybe more of a spackling technique, it should hold up.

The idea is to use spray foam on a base structure, carve it into the desired design (usually rock), then paint it with a thinned out grout or concrete slurry.

It works GREAT with smaller herps and will last near indefinitely, but Tegu’s are quite a bit heftier than geckos and more destructive than iguanas. I have this horrible image of spending a week on a wall only to come home and find the boys punched through the grout and made a nest in the foam.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
if you give your tegu a proper hide and stuff this will work fine. I think if you just tossed him in there without a place to feel secure then he might start clawing at things.

ToadHallBetty

The bigger the lizard, the thicker the grout should be. Look for "making a rock out of a cardboard box" on YouTube. It's a great demonstration of a similar technique being used for big monitor lizards.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
makit5744