• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

ExtremexRed?

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They are technically different species... which would make the offspring of such a spawn a hybrid...

Sometimes two different species won't be able to spawn together, although I would expect these two species to be able to...

Often the hybrid offspring of two different species is born sterile and/or with other complications... I'm not fluent enough in reptile breeding to even speculate if this may apply to this particular cross...

I've considered the same thing, but as someone new to the Tegu scene I'm not going to jump in making hybrids. As a fish breeder I am a bit of a purist and do not create hybrids. I feel doing so removes the diversity each species has and risks loosing desirable qualities. Amongst fish when certain species are crossed it seems to flip a switch in the brain making the resultant offspring extremely aggressive (research FlowerHorn as a perfect example).

If you do decide to try it I would suggest using a Red male and a Giant female... as a 5' male Giant may be too rough for a 3' female Red... better to use two 4' lizards although this may still be risky...

olympus

5 Year Member
I think something as impressive as a chacoan should not be changed or tampered with. Those animals are something special and do not need any improvement, they are in a league of their own.

lizardboy101

5 Year Member
No I completley agree with the fact that Chacoans are MAGNIFICENT animals, but I've always been a sucker for a good looking red and I just think something the size of a chacoan, pattern(probably make the red lighter), and temperment would just be top notch. Every animal event he best can be improved.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
But creating an unnatural hybridization to "improve" them according to our personal standards is often seen as destroying the evolution of nature as opposed to improving anything...

A purist would tell you to improve them via stronger natural genetics... not creating an unnatural hybrid...

In the fish breeding business you can spawn two $200 fish of different species... and the offspring are worth about a quarter...

IÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¾Ã?â??Ã?¢m also not saying you shouldnÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¾Ã?â??Ã?¢t do itÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?¦ IÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¾Ã?â??Ã?¢m just trying to represent a perspective IÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¾Ã?â??Ã?¢m familiar withÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?¦ not necessarily one I stand behindÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?¦

lizardboy101

5 Year Member
I agree and thus y I am asking. I'm not quit on one side of the fence or the other. It's just I've got the Red and will prbly get a Chacoan soon, and it just kind of crossed my mined.

tupinambis

5 Year Member
Really, there's no reason to even contemplate making the cross. Some natural populations of Tupinambis rufescens are said to get even bigger than the "Chacoan extreme", so if it's the size you are after, they are out there naturally.

Tegu Tank

5 Year Member
well i might not be an expert on the situation but i do know that this is going to happen reguardless whether we like it or not so i would have to say try it out c what happens make that next move put ur self out there know what i mean :?:

crimsonrazac

5 Year Member
That would be awesome if it was like a liger lol... (male lionx female tiger) ligers will grow about twice as large as thier parents because they don't have the growth restricting gene. That would be one nice "ulta exteme" tegu lol.

Kazzy

5 Year Member
I'm fine with hybrids as long as it is done responsibly (as in, if you have a hybrid, don't sell it saying it's a pure chacoan, or pure red. Be completely honest). Anyway, hybridization happens in the wild anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602