• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Feeding the right amount

How can you tell if you are feeding your tegu too much. What is the rule for feeding? My Black and White is 12 months old and is eating a mix I make of Ground Turkey, Tilapia, Mizzouri Mix, Calcium, and Vitamins. She also eats boiled eggs, raw egg yolks, grapes and just about everything I put in there. I am just wondering if I am letting her eat too much per meal. She eats every day. I have a dog that will eat until the food is gone, no matter how full he is. Are tegus the same way??

Merlot

I’m my experience at that age give enough until they are uninterested in the food. And if you give a medium mouse which at that age is prob what your giving, give a medium fuzzy and down grapes and blueberries , etc.. until she no longer interested in the food. Give her a minute cuz mine likes to eat most of its food and bask a bit, go eat a little more then bask some more. So doesn’t ALWAYS finish his food right away. And that’s when I feed in the enclosure. If feeding outside the enclosure (or inside for that matter), hand feed with tongs until again, she is uninterested. My tegu Blaze will simple move his head away from me totally like a dog who doesn’t want to eat a piece of celery or Soemthing. That’s when I know mine is full. And offer PLENTY of water

So, from what I gather from the 2 replies, is let her eat until she's done. Don't worried about over feeding because they will stop eating without overeating. That sound about right?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
For growing youngsters, yes. No harm, and perhaps some good, in occassionally feding less to give its digestive tract a break.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam