• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Feisty baby

SheriDemou

Help. We had our baby for 1 month. She hates being touched. If she gets out she fights us and runs to hide. Will she get better or do I need to tame her.

Stephen J. Williams

OMG! They don’t get socialized by themselves! I’ve had my red male tegu for almost 2 years and he was just like yours when I adopted him. I spent the first 18 months talking to him, having him smell me, sitting in an empty bathtub with him, and putting an article of clothing that I’d worn in his enclosure. He has finally calmed down, let’s me pet him while he’s basking, allows me to pick him up and carry him and when I sit on the floor he climbs on my lap and falls asleep. They need tons of time, effort and patience to socialize them. Please don’t believe the bullshit “puppy dog” tame claim by some breeders. Tegus are intelligent, inquisitive, and have minds of their own. Take the time with your gu. You will be rewarded in the end!

Dylan koch

My experience with my 4 tegus. My 2 blues were Angel's from day 1 not sure if they were just socialized from birth but I was able to hold them and ect from day 1 but my 2 red on other hands were complete opposite and were aggressive lunging and ect. But you cannot rush it! And little things will help build bonds! Like I always feed mine out side of enclosure to avoid impactions and prolapse! I use a big tubaware with lid and I got thick leather or cowhide gloves mostly to avoid scratches. Do not flinch it cause a prey instinct. But moving to a tubaware daily to feed helps with bonding, getting used to being touched and held 3ven if only for 30 secs. And baths holding and petting while bathing your tegu helps build bonds fast. Also put used socks or ect I the hide. Feel free to message me I can help with bonding. Also i would pet them while they eat on back carefully and slowly. Be gentle always a bad experience can set u back a ton on progress. But most of all it takes time. Make sure your tegu eats till it's full it could be hunger agression and fed a proper varied diet with supplements. And proper humidity and uvb and heat! And a hide where it can feel safe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980