• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

First brumation questions

Kaiju Prince

so kai went down for the winter about a week or two ago and seems to be in full brumation at this point. I don’t think it’s his first brumation since I got him as a juvenile back in March, but it’s his first brumation with me. I’ve been slowly cutting his “daylight” hours back and made sure his tail was nice and fat before he went to sleep.

I do have a few questions though that the research I was doing couldn’t really answer clearly. For example, can I do a substrate change while he’s sleeping if mold starts to develop, I don’t want to wake him to early. And what should his humidity be at while he sleeps? I’ve heard some people say 50% while others say the full 80% but again I’m worried about there possibility being a mold issue. Also when he does start to wake up in spring should I wait a couple days to feed him? And should I go back to a full daytime heat cycle or slowly ease him back up to those higher temps?

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes, you can change his substrate. 50-80% RH is good. Come spring radualky over a few weeks up daylength. He'll eat when ready.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980