• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

First Hibernation - Feeding and Heating questions

apocalypse910

Loki is about 2.5 years old - He didn't hibernate for his first two winters but it appears that he wants to this year. Two quick questions:

I've read that you shouldn't let them hibernate with food in their stomach... He's not been particularly hungry but he's had some food (two quail eggs) since he last pooped. He's stopped coming out entirely... should I wake him and attempt to soak him or is this overkill. It seems to me that they'd somewhat know what to do but some of the other posts on the subject have me worried.

I'm also wondering if warmer temps are hazardous during hibernation. I shut down his radiant heat panel so the cage drops to about 60 at night. His basking light is still on a 12 hr cycle and he's buried under his basking rock. I'm guessing it is mid 80s daytime temp. Should I cut that to just a few hours a day or just leave it for now.

Thanks for your help - First hibernation and I'm stressing about it quite a bit.

N8bub

I don't necessarily think it's overkill to wake him and give him a soak. It will certainly make you feel better if he makes a deuce and you will be more apt to leave him be for the rest of his hibernation.

apocalypse910

He actually came out on his own yesterday, gave him a good soak but he didn't go. Granted he doesn't have much in his stomach - didn't know whether the little bit he ate was going to be an issue though.

Jomatty

I'm interested in this as well. Mine ate a rat and some salmon and then didn't come out yesterday. I know with some animals you have to be careful to not let food rot in their stomachs but I have read mixed things about tegus. I didn't know she was going to go down or I wouldn't have fed a big meal. She had been slowing down a little but I didn't expect her to suddenly stop coming out at all.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If the lizard still has its hot spot and its cool side still in the mid or even low 70s, he'll be fine because he can regulate and will naturally slow down. Poop when necessary, eat less, sleep more etc.

The food in stomach becomes an issue if the whole enclosure is cold.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced