• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

FIRST TEGU!! & I Have Some Questions

Wildanimalgal

I just purchased my first tegu two days ago. It’s a Columbian baby, maybe 8-12 inches long. It’s very calm and mellow. When the guy took the first one out, it bit him. The one I ended up getting did not care, it just chilled out in my hands. So far as I’ve had it at home... it’s very curious, lively, walks around and it loves to come out and likes people so far but hates quick movements. Is this normal behavior for a young Columbian? I’ve read things about them being aggressive but it seems to have warmed up quickly... it falls asleep in my hands and legs. It also has figured out that it can jump off my bed frame into the window sill and it likes to hang out it the sunlight. Is there a reason why? I also need some pointers on reading tegu body language as well. I can tell when it’s afraid and it usually gives me a nervous vibe. And while it’s walking around on my bed it always comes back in and checks with me then wanders off. Has anyone else seen this behavior this quickly? Is it going to stay like this or will it become more aggressive as it gets larger?

Attachments

• F9EF8B77-7F20-4485-B0C1-360A0AABBC03.jpeg
    F9EF8B77-7F20-4485-B0C1-360A0AABBC03.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 29BA37CA-36FB-468C-8320-41906E135D1E.jpeg
    29BA37CA-36FB-468C-8320-41906E135D1E.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 2F8A2365-C10B-4C0E-95F8-E5424DBB72B1.jpeg
    2F8A2365-C10B-4C0E-95F8-E5424DBB72B1.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 14

TripleTegus

Hello and welcome. Animals are just like people they all have different personalities. That's most likely why the first one but the guy but the one you picked out didn't. As far as the sunlight thing tegus love to bask in the warm sun. He might have a grumpy teenager phase but that's something only time will tell

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I'm not an expert, but just hearing you say you are sensing when he's afraid is a good sign. You'll need your instincts. In the beginning, these lizards require a lot of space. I mean - to feel safe - as well as physical space. Even if it feels like he's trusting - I'd be careful, because he's settling in right now. It's a time that each animal does his own way, but kind of...anything goes. Do as much contact as he'll allow but not more. Let those senses of yours lead, and try not to force anything on him.

He'll calm down on his terms, but I think it goes faster when the owner is calm, and lets the animal figure out what just happened to his life.

They are so fun - Everyone here loves their dinosaurs. Ask lots of questions too - we all want you to be successful. Thanks for the pics!

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi and welcome ....... UK Colombian owner here.

All sound pretty normal but remember you turned this little guys world on its head, so handling and trusting could take a step back over the settling in period. (1-2 weeks)

Alpha has bitten me 3 times and all 3 could have been avoided and was as much my own doing as his, don't get me wrong he has his grumpy moments and believe me you'll soon work out the posturing and when not to pester too much:D

I once read an article on Colombians that changed my perspective on them and their behaviours. It said " The reason Colombians get such a bad rep is that they are sold at such a cheap rate, that anyone can buy one. leading to many more child and inappropriate handlers that don't know what they are doing and don't give the animal correct care, which causes the animal to be sad,aggressive and sometimes ill. Then these so called CARERS who didn't have the time to research or care for the animal suddenly find time to preach to everyone on how bad and aggressive their animal is.

Just have patience things don't happen over night and its not always a smooth road but very very worth it in the end.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member

All sound pretty normal but remember you turned this little guys world on its head, so handling and trusting could take a step back over the settling in period. (1-2 weeks)

Alpha has bitten me 3 times and all 3 could have been avoided and was as much my own doing as his, don't get me wrong he has his grumpy moments and believe me you'll soon work out the posturing and when not to pester too much:D

I once read an article on Colombians that changed my perspective on them and their behaviours. It said " The reason Colombians get such a bad rep is that they are sold at such a cheap rate, that anyone can buy one. leading to many more child and inappropriate handlers that don't know what they are doing and don't give the animal correct care, which causes the animal to be sad,aggressive and sometimes ill. Then these so called CARERS who didn't have the time to research or care for the animal suddenly find time to preach to everyone on how bad and aggressive their animal is.

Just have patience things don't happen over night and its not always a smooth road but very very worth it in the end.
Alpha, A lot of truth to that article excerpt.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member

Alpha, A lot of truth to that article excerpt.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonny