• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

First time Hibernation!?! Hampton Roads Area

Dom3rd

5 Year Member
I live in Virginia Beach and my Gu's enclosure is in my garage and I was wondering if there is anyone else that lives in the Hampton Roads area that have there gus outside and have hibernated them before. I am trying to decide if i should maybe get a ceramic heater with a resostate to help offset the temps here...

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm in Oregon but my tegu is in the garage. I use a CHE at night to keep temps from going too low during the colder months

Skeetzy

Ceramic heat emitter. If you don't mind spending the money, a CHE and a thermostat wouldn't hurt. I like to keep my Bedroom at 65-70 at night, and usually keep my windows open all Winter. I have a CHE and thermostat set up in my enclosure just in case.

Dom3rd

5 Year Member
Ok cool, is there a general idea for what the hibernation temps should be or no lower than?

tresh

Hello there! I'm also in the Hampton Roads area, though my gal doesn't stay outside due to me being in an apartment. My gal is sleeping in a closet (her choice, not mine), with a heat lamp left on for when she feels like coming out.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If they are completely out the temps should not stay 105-110*F. The heat can cause the metabolism to remain constant which can lean to issues with your tegu. Their body can burn their fat reserve faster than it should. Temps for burmation/hibernation should be 55-65*F.
That being said, it is OK to turn the lights on for a day or two every couple of weeks in case your tegu does decide to come out, which is natural. I wouldn't feed the tegu until it has been out consistently for a few days, if you feed it and it goes back down there is the possibility of food rotting in the stomach.

Diablo

5 Year Member
rhetoricx said:
If they are completely out the temps should not stay 105-110*F. The heat can cause the metabolism to remain constant which can lean to issues with your tegu. Their body can burn their fat reserve faster than it should. Temps for burmation/hibernation should be 55-65*F.
That being said, it is OK to turn the lights on for a day or two every couple of weeks in case your tegu does decide to come out, which is natural. I wouldn't feed the tegu until it has been out consistently for a few days, if you feed it and it goes back down there is the possibility of food rotting in the stomach.

My guy has been down for two days and I haven't seen him. Should I just leave the lights off now?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced