• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

First Time Tegu Owner from AZ

FoxyPapaSmurf

Hello everyone. My name is Mason. I live in Mesa, AZ with my beautiful wife. I'm a web developer by day and a reptile enthusiast by night. I've owned various reptiles and amphibians over the last 10 years or so including Fire Belly Toads, Leopard Frogs, Newts, Beareded Dragons, and last year my wife and I got our first pet together; a Ball Python we named Petunia. Well after lots of research we decided that we wanted something a little more challenging but a lot more rewarding. We both have very severe allergies so large reptiles suddenly seemed like a fairly practical idea. When our local family-owned reptile store got hatchling Chacoan Tegus, we couldn't turn it down! We've had Marvin for a couple days now and it's been so cool to watch him explore and interact with him. Apart from a small mishap resulting in the loss of an inch from the end of his little tail, it's been a fun and rewarding process thus far. After doing my research and seeing how fast they grow, I invested in a 55 gallon terrarium that can hopefully house him until we move into our house in March (at which point we'll construct a large permanent home for him, probably outside). Since we live in AZ there's pretty much no chance of him going into hibernation this winter, so he's going to get big pretty quick! I'm glad to be a part of the Tegu community and hope to have questions answered in the future from some of you more experienced Tegu owners. Thanks!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Congrats! Sounds like a good plan. Kept properly, they grow very quickly.

thatoneguy

Well awesome! I have a geographically pertinent question for you then. Do you keep your Tegus in an outside enclosure? If so, what do you do to keep them from getting too hot and how do you keep the humidity up?

I have an indoor enclosure, eventually gonna make an outside playbox for him and my GFs cuban rock iguana, which I'm thinking I will setup with misters. My indoor enclosure I have modified a cool mist humidifier with some clear plastic tubing to keep the humidity up inside the cage.

I think summer time in Arizona may be to hot for a full time outside Tegu cage, but I'm a newbie to Tegus myself.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980