• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

First time Tegu setup - Any Thoughts?

Kre8sioN

Hi . My Chacoan Tegu is going to be here soon. Just want to make sure I'm doing the best I can for my little buddy (little for now, lol). I have a 15 gal tank, filled more than half way with coco husk, dinosaur egg hide, rock water bowl and basking rock. UVB over the center, heat over the basking rock, plexiglass over cooler side to keep humidity higher. basking area is about 105 and cooler side 78 with 67% humidity (which is rising as I just moistened the husk). And yes that's a internet cam so I can keep an eye on temps while at work. Is there anything else I need for arrival? pretty sure she's going to want to go in asap and warm up after being shipped. should I see if she is hungry? Any thoughts would be very much appreciated

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27

VenusAndSaturn

That 15 gallon enclosure wont last more than a month at the most. They grow insanely fast if they're being taken care of correctly so that little 9-10" hatchling will easily become 20-30" in just a few months.

An example is my current tegu, I got her at a month old and 10 inches long, by the end of the next month she had already grown to 20 inches.

Id personally advise you to get a 75 gallon at the very least for a baby until you can build the 8x4x4 enclosure.

Other than that everything looks alright. However, what is your current UVB? Coil/compact bulb, MVB, etc?

Kre8sioN

I do know this wont do for long, my local rep store recommended not giving him/her too much room at first or it may get a bit wild. but prepared to go bigger at any time, and already cleared half the living room for the 8x4 :) I'm using a reptisun 10.0 UVB 13 watt compact bulb. good? . any thoughts on a first meal. I have snail meat but shes not having it. rep store opens at noon, maybe live insects? BTW thanks for replying

Zyn

Pinky mice 15g is way to small for even a hatchling he won’t be able to thermoregulate properly. That bulb is fine for UVB but it won’t provide a basking heat source. You need a basking spot of 110 to 115 or around there and with such a small tank he won’t. be able to move far enough away to cool down if he needs to. I use outdoor rated/wet location spot lights for my basking spots 10 bucks at Lowe’s. I’d recommend not using the 15g at all. Go get at the minimum a 40g Breeder tank meaning it’s wide and long not tall. Tall tanks are for fish. Without a proper basking spot she won’t eat.

Also i wouldn’t go by anything anyone tells you at a reptile “store” they just want to sell you a product. Most are underpaid and only have basic knowledge

Also being from a pet shop id make sure and get him checked for parasites. I’m gusssing he’s a import and not captive breed. Just some thoughts

Last edited:

VenusAndSaturn

The bulb for UVB wont do... compact bulbs are so weak its probably barely getting through the screen. They also don't last long.
I'd highly recommend getting a Megaray MVB bulb for UVB. This also produces heat but not much so a second heat bulb alongside it will most likely be needed.

And yeah... reptile/pet stores most of the time barely know what they're talking about so I'd highly suggest taking what employees say with a grain of salt.
Especially chain pet stores.

If she's not eating right now it's most likely because she's a bit stressed out. This will probably last a couple of weeks before she really settles down fully.
You could try hornworms, dubia roaches, pinky mice and a few other various foods to see if she'll eat.

Last edited:

Kre8sioN

basking area is 109 on the rock, just got back from home depot to buy a infrared thermometer. cool side with the egg hide is still 78. I have both UVB and a Heat lamp. gotta defend my rep store lol, been going there 6 years now and its family owned and they do know a lot. Didn't get the tegu from them though, Tegu came from Ty's Lizards in florida. so ya captive breed. but thanks for all the info :)

Skeep

5 Year Member
From your picture it looks a lot bigger than 15 gallons :) Don't be afraid to put your little guy in the bigger enclosure right away. Tegus are highly active when young and will use all the space to run around and explore. Just make sure there are lots of hide spots etc where he can take shelter if he gets frightened, and it gives him something to explore too. The only problem I think you may have is finding him if he is burrowed!

Kre8sioN

Funny you say that. usually I get home from work around 6pm. and I interact a bit to keep him used to me. got home from work and he's gone. I know he didn't escape but part of me wants to just check but not gonna. he or she usually goes down from 7pm till 7am. is that normal for a young one. I will tell you Bud dee (that's the name for now till I know if its male or female. Like hey bud dee lolol) seems quite happy. eating well and had first bath / swimming lesson yesterday. soooooo not happy at first but started to enjoy the water and I kept my hand open in the water and bud would swim to my hand when he wanted out. so far so good. I was told it was a 20 gal when I bought it (craigslist) dimensions are 2' long x 1' wide x 1" tall. googling it says 15gal. Anyway love the replies and this site.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced