• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Fixing tegu posture (answers! Belly dragging Save money)

Would you like me to make this a bi weekly update?

• Total voters

Ultrapurps25

Hi, my name is Brett and my ultra purple tegu is named Ares(male approximately 8 months old) and I have to admit I let him down, first let me explain that I have read several books and already visited a vet, we have identified the problem and this thread is to help educate others as i couldn't find threads pertaining to this issue to save time and worry for others

Definitely not MBD vet confirmed

unbenouced to me tegus can develop posture problems when living a lathargic lifestyle even if all nutrients and lighting needs are met as mine was. The vet confirmed this with blood test and xray(expensive and unnecessary stress for him, but I insisted). So he lives in a bedroom 12 by 12 just for him, and except varied temp areas and 2 hides its mostly empty which I now realize was starving him of stimulus. This was issue number one.

I am a collage student so am gone most of the time, so over the months he would still get prolonged daily interactions with me but my style of taming him was to always be relaxed and at ease. And as of this month I havnt seen him react defencivly. to doors opening since he has known only kind people and never in his life needed to react as they do in the wild to surprises. Now hes not a strange tegu, he has learned that the door opening means time with me and I have a deep voice and talk at my normal volume so he doesn't get scared when I make phone calls or have to hollar at my roommate. And this leads him to drag his belly as he never has a need or stimulating want to move fast. Hes trained(as much as lizzardly possible) to be still in handling and gently be hand fed. This being said he can stand up if startled on purpose but otherwise he prefers to be a potato all day. And has started getting overweight. Just slightly though.

How to correct this issue before it stunts his joints.
I am propping up his legs with a carefully made styrofoam "sled" with self stick only nontoxic adhesive tape(only sticks to itself, like athletic wrap). As it is flexable and wont constrict his movements. And I push him around the room after he gets tired of lugging around to make him move his limbs naturally in the healthy belly off the ground posture. It's the lizzard equivalent of working out building back up the muscle I allowed to get so weak. It's been only 3 weeks and he has shown a massive burst in daily energy and definitely has gotten stronger. He still drags his belly sometimes when relaxed but when stimulated he is moving quicker and belly off the ground. Needing less time in the sled. Also helping this issue is he has more stimulants in his room in the form of smells and places to drink that require climbing or jumping to get to. These dishes have a splash of Gatorade in them and 1 berry in them daily changed. the one on the ground is just water, so if he wants tasty water he has to work for it but can still have water while staying on the ground. I was lucky to catch this before it became a irreversible. This has worked for me and this is only to help others. Me and my vet stay in contact and are confident he will make a full recovery in another month or so. Im sure there are many other ways to correct this issue but this is mine and its showing results.

Disclaimer!!!:

I'm not a doctor, take your vets word over mine.

The walking sled was made by me to contore my tegus body and that's verry important, just a flat surface could cause issues when left on as long as needed for results to be optimal.

Dont over do it the first day! We cant max out on weights day 1 at the gym dont make your tegu more exhausted than nessesary.

Once your tegu is tired just let it rest on the sled for awhile to keep his limbs in position.

Dont fight your tegu to get into sled, or tightly restrict them, sometimes there going to get out, find a middle ground.

My tegu does not have mbd, just left understimulated for too long

this is not a treatment for mbd or malnutrition.

I will post pictures in a few days when I have the time so please be patient.

Thanks for reading I know it was alot but I wanted to be as specific as possible

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam