• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Force handling?

Retnoo

Hello, I'd like some advice on force handing my juvenile tegu. He's about 22 inches long including tail. his body is about 7 inches. I have to take him to the vet to get tagged, but we've had him for less than a month, and he still is very bite-y, and doesn't like to be touched at all, let alone picked up. Any advice on what sort of grip I should use to securely hold the little guy without hurting him? I've seen many videos on handling, but all of them on holding a calm and willing animal. One hand around the base of the tail and one under and around his upper arms/chest?

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I always secure the tail with my left hand because that's one of their first attempts at escaping a hold. I use the other hand to secure underneath, and up by the neck so as not to get bitten. There's a mental effort at not flinching too...lol One of those "just get through it moments".

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced