• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Giant tegu

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Here are some pics of one of my males, tell me what you guys think.

222223.jpg

DSCN3520.jpg

DSCN3519.jpg

DSCN3512.jpg

DSCN3481E.jpg

ColdThirst

5 Year Member
haha! Finally some scale to the monster, it looks like a huge pig! I bet that thing eats you out of house and home! I want it! But i would not want to get bit by it

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks guys!!

He can eat a little, and jumbo rats are no problem at all fo him. :lol:

angelrose

5 Year Member
OMG, Bobby he's soooo big and b e a u t i f u l :yik
I hope you will have them in about another year when I have more room.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You did it!!!! I have seriously been waiting for this shot. He is everything I hope for in my Chocoans come summer! Granted 3+ years later Chocoan but none the less, very impressive. He's looking wicked awesome and he couldn't have a better keeper. Looks like he seems to trust you. Was he hard to handle?

redtail2426

5 Year Member
That one dosnt have any cream color do they all lose the color? Also all the full grown chacoans I have seen look to be carrying more fat in there body and jowls then most of the normal black and whites could that have to do with there locale? Maybe it is colder winters where they come from?

gebris353

5 Year Member
Are you sure it's not a Bull Tegu that one Bobby!? He is not only big, but he has a huge back and huge shoulders too! He is looking soooooo good, awesome job man! :-D

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
redtail2426 said:
That one dosnt have any cream color do they all lose the color?

I see a ton of cream on him. The white is def. not a true white and has creamy undertone. Maybe it's the color settings on your monitor.

CaseyUndead

5 Year Member
WOWOWOW! That's one big tegu! How old is he? Is that size standard for the extreme adult males? What do you feed him? I bet he could take down a rabbit with no problem at all!

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They have the cream on the head, as for the babies, they are turning more silver.

DSCN3298.jpg

DSCN3294.jpg

DSCN3290.jpg

DSCN3303.jpg

DSCN3283-1.jpg

DSCN3303.jpg

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I do not know his exact age, but I would think he is not real old judging how good of shape he is in right after hibernation, older animals do not fair so well.

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
So bobby, do you think it would be a good idea to stop hibernating tegus after a certain age or condition? And if so, when would you stop?

By the way, that is one beefy looking tank of a tegu. Great work!

dorton

5 Year Member
He's a monster bobby! Jumbo rats, dang thats big food for a tegu, kinda puts it into perspective.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
shiftylarry said:
So bobby, do you think it would be a good idea to stop hibernating tegus after a certain age or condition? And if so, when would you stop?

I would not suggest hibernating if they are over 9 years old, they do not fair very well and you could loose them during the hibernation period.

pinto24

5 Year Member
Those are exactly the pics I was looking for. perfect!

Do they just hang there like that the whole time you hold him? or does he squirm around

Awesome animal!!

Adams13

5 Year Member
If i could only get some of those giants up here. He's great man, honestly, the care you show to your animals truly shows through in these photos.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
VARNYARD said:
shiftylarry said:

I would not suggest hibernating if they are over 9 years old, they do not fair very well and you could loose them during the hibernation period.

Bingo, that's just what I was looking for!
Now, are there any drawbacks to not hibernating them (aside from not being able to breed?)
If not, I may consider not brumating my tegu starting around oh let's say around 6 years of age.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced