• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Gu force handling

Jessicak

Hey guys, so I was just wondering that the consensus was on digging your gu out to handle him. I've heard that it's okay to get him used to you but I've also heard that it can cause trust issues. Does anyone have any stories or input?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Mine are tame. I'll remove them from their hide and they then rest on me some evenings. If mid-day and I rouse them from their hide for food, they eat.

I don't force sudden activity on slumbering dragons.

Jessicak

Should I just let him be until he wakes up on his own? Because mine just sleeps for days at a time until I scoop him out. Then he'll eat and run around for an hour or so and then go back to sleep

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Jessica- If you work all day, you could easily miss basking time mid-morning. Also, come autumn, some more so than others become lethargic. Mine are sleeping in a cold basement for next few months.

I would just take him out.

Jessicak

Okay. I don't want him to hibernate so I'm trying to keep the temps up. He was hiding under the substrate and I noticed it stayed pretty cold so I got a heat mat today to keep it a little warmer. Hopefully it helps a little. I'll keep handling him though

thatoneguy

What I was told is once your tegu is comfortable enough with falling asleep on your lap, then you can slowly start to wake them up in their burrow.

First just touch them and pet them, then if they don't freak out you can slowly start scooping them out.

I often unburrow mine and let him sleep on my lap while I watch TV for bonding time

viejo

5 Year Member
What I was told is once your tegu is comfortable enough with falling asleep on your lap, then you can slowly start to wake them up in their burrow.

First just touch them and pet them, then if they don't freak out you can slowly start scooping them out.

I often unburrow mine and let him sleep on my lap while I watch TV for bonding time

That's my feeling. Depends on the gu. If they are hyper & defensive then tread lightly. My latest acquisition is so comfy with me that he almost seems bored. His prospective lady friend gets very excited by my presence, mainly because she know that being picked up may imply that she is getting fed.

Zack Wilke

See, if I even try to pet my gu, he starts to breathe extremely heavily, and attempts to run away, so I just leave my hand in the cage. He mostly just watches it. I don't know why he isn't warming up...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam