• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Gu turned mean!

Lynda

I'm hoping this is due to Piper being one year...but what a grouch! She used to be such a sweet girl, and now I can be patting her with her eyes closed one minute, and the next she lunges out and bites me. I open her cage a few times a day and she huffs and arches her back half the time. Is this what they go through at one year? She's eating well, has a fat belly and tail...34 inches now, temp and humidity is all normal...guess I'll just have to wait it out. Anyone else have this same experience? Thanks for any input!

TheTeguGurl

hehehehe too some it is the terrible teenage years.. I went throu this will all my Gu's Even my big male! He was the worst I thought he would never calm back down.. He acted like he was bi polar all the time! but after awhile they did calm down.

Dana C

My boy, Capt'n Jack, is close to his first birthday and has become a real ass on occasion. He huffs and puffs when he is out in the bathroom with me sitting on the floor but he still walks under my hand for a rub on purpose. He doesn't really eat well unless I am with him as well. Other times he acts like he just came off the pampas 10 minutes ago and is a wild man. It really is kind of funny as he acts like he hates being touched all of a sudden but 3 minutes later comes over for a chin rub. He then goes back into his Godzilla persona and can no longer tolerate my touch.

This is my first experience with a yearling as I have only owned adults. I have read as you have as well that there is tendency for tegus to develop wild mood swings as they approach yearling status. My boy dropped his first sperm plug a couple of months ago and is most likely a FB import which would make him almost a year old based upon the season reversal.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome to tegu puberty. It can last a year but most get out of it by the end of summer. Just keep her well fed and try to avoid braking any trust with her (ie do not discipline like you would a dog). She will come around.

Dirtydmc

Sadly enough. Dexter and me are going through this too. He bit me twice last week. But I am not afraid of him. He was humped up and puffing at me this morning. I just kept petting him. He still likes it, even though he won't admit it.

Bntegus

she wants to eat more she is growing fast at one year they start eating alot more. i have some tegus if they dont eat every day they will eat me lol just my 2-cents.

Dirtydmc

Dexter is fed everyday. Doesn't matter with him. He gets real goofy if I let him sun bathe outside. Calmer down pretty quick though.

Lynda

Ya, I agree,never thought she could fit that much food in her and she eats every day, so her #itchiness is not due to hunger. I'm sure I went through a "stage" many many yards ago too:blush:

Johnnydr

My near yearling AA opened her mouth for the first time to bite my today! granted, i wasn't supporting her correctly and when i got her comfy she was fine :p

Lynda

james.w said:
What size enclosure is she in, how long has she been in there?

She's in a 4 X2. She roams a screened porch Monday through Friday during the day. Question:she is great to be held at most any time,but totally freaks when I bring her outside. Should I keep trying or wait till next year when she is bigger and not going through this gu puberty? She's so great...just measured in at 37" today :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced