• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Half-dropped tail, WTF??

misskestrel78

So... I am a brand new tegu owner--like, I brought my very small (but not hatchling: doesn't have any green coloration anymore) B&W Argentine tegu home YESTERDAY. It was very calm when I chose it, the calmest of the five I had to choose from. Got it home last night with no issues, and it easily went into the new enclosure (premade front opening melamine 4x2x2' for a start while I build the larger enclosure; the tegu itself is maybe just a hair shorter than a foot long, tail included), and everything was fine.

This morning, when I went to feed it for the first time, I put the dish in the enclosure, and left my hand in. It came out slowly, and ambled over to the dish. Great start, right? It came over to the food and I took the opportunity to touch its back, at about the first shoulder blades. There were ZERO obvious sign of distress, no back arching or hissing or puffing up--BUT IT SUDDENLY HALF DROPPED ITS TAIL!!!!!!!! This does not mean "dropped half its tail"!! I'm talking, it was not fully dropped, but had separated from the bottom up about halfway through the "meat" of the tail.

I've never seen this before. I have kept a variety of lizards and snakes for 20+ years, some wild caught, and have been herping for 35+ years. I have caught hundreds of lizards and only ONE has ever dropped its tail.

There were ZERO indications that it was stressed or upset or anything other than chill and calm. And I lightly touched it nowhere near the tail.

After taking a breath from the shock and disgust, I confirmed that the start of the drop is on the underside of its tail--there's a bit of exposed pink flesh. But it's definitely not fully dropped.

I am absolutely flabbergasted, and horrified, and pissed off. I wanna cry and scream and rant. (Kinda like I'm doing now, LOL.) I'm kicking myself in the butt because I didn't see anything that could have been an indication of it being unhappy or stressed. And I know what to look for!!!!!!!!

I am currently leaving it alone, and haven't attempted to completely detached the segment that's going to be affected (about 1/4 or 2/3 of the tail), or clean it or apply any antibiotic ointment or whatever. I haven't touched any part of it because I'm (stupidly?) hoping it can reattach itself. Dunno if that's even possible?

I guess I'm asking, 1) Has anyone else ever had this happen? An outwardly calm and not stressed baby tegu suddenly dropping it's tail? But the tear not completely severing the tail. 2) Should I do anything now? 3) If so, what?

Like I said, I'm not a newbie with lizards in general (I currently keep beardies, cresties, gargoyle geckos, uromastyx, and an Ackie; not even my cresties have lost their tails and I have handled them from hatchlings. I also have numerous colubrids and pythons), but this is unlike anything I've ever experienced/dealt with, and I have a feeling of helplessness that I'm not used to.

Thank you in advance.

Laila Q.

misskestrel78

Welp. The tail fell off completely, and as of this morning, the stump looks fine. A bit scabby, but nothing weird. I'll keep an eye on it, but not mess with it unless I really have to.

I'm also trying to leave her be, as much as possible. Taking day-old food out/putting new food in, refilling her water bowl, but not touching her. Haven't had to spot clean her enclosure yet because there's no poop yet.

If anyone wants to chime in on what else I should be doing to help her deal with this tail drop (increase in calcium/multivitamins, some probiotics, something like that), or treating the stump with topical antibiotic ointment?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20220921_141817_167.jpg
    IMG_20220921_141817_167.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 15

isislima2

I’ve never heard of lizard dropping just to drop. It’s usually under very stressful or life threatening situation. Perhaps it happened before you brought it home and you just noticed the next day.
Sorry about that, I’d be sad too.

misskestrel78

I’ve never heard of lizard dropping just to drop. It’s usually under very stressful or life threatening situation. Perhaps it happened before you brought it home and you just noticed the next day.
Sorry about that, I’d be sad too.
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I am sure it happened with me. She was whole and had her tail when I bought her and brought her home. And she was fully tailed when I went to put the food down for her. Wishful thinking.
Laila

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam