• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hamsters...lol

Kazzy

5 Year Member
My buddy and I are breeding hamsters for food, instead of mice or rats. Here are our reasons why:
1.) Mice are too much of a pain (I've tried them...)
2.) Rat babies are too big for leopard geckos
3.) Rats are too big to house at the moment
4.) Rats are awesome pets...lol
5.) Hamsters have the perfect sized babies for the leos, and have a good fat content to them. Plus...they are just born evil (I'm j/k, nothing is born evil...but they sure do like to bite and eat each other...).

We got our first litter yesterday from one of our females. 12 babies. We are taking 4 for the leos, and growing the rest a bit more for Xander and Aidan. Now we are just waiting for our other female to pop. Yay!

Mvskokee

5 Year Member
lasst night i had a mouse fuzz in a paper sack in a critter cage to feed one of my balls and my friends sister started balling calling us messed up cause she said it couldnt breath. when paper breaths i was so pissed at her

Azaleah

5 Year Member
I think hamsters do make a good feeder. It's ridiculous that because people think that it is cruel to kill a hamster because it makes such a good pet. Whatever. However be careful with feeding leos pinks... its not always good for them. Tegus, on the other hand, are a different story lol

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Kazzy said:
My buddy and I are breeding hamsters for food, instead of mice or rats. Here are our reasons why:
1.) Mice are too much of a pain (I've tried them...)
2.) Rat babies are too big for leopard geckos
3.) Rats are too big to house at the moment
4.) Rats are awesome pets...lol
5.) Hamsters have the perfect sized babies for the leos, and have a good fat content to them. Plus...they are just born evil (I'm j/k, nothing is born evil...but they sure do like to bite and eat each other...).

We got our first litter yesterday from one of our females. 12 babies. We are taking 4 for the leos, and growing the rest a bit more for Xander and Aidan. Now we are just waiting for our other female to pop. Yay!

I wish that they would sell hamsters as feeders around here....wanna ship me a few? :)

Kazzy

5 Year Member
The leos only get them every so often to fatten them and keep their calcium up for breeding. It's mainly for the tegus.
DZ, I may start breeding a lot more, and if I do I can freeze some and start shipping them for others. Personally, I don't think hamsters make great pets. Gerbals and rats are WAY better. Hamsters are dirty and like to bite.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Kazzy said:
The leos only get them every so often to fatten them and keep their calcium up for breeding. It's mainly for the tegus.
DZ, I may start breeding a lot more, and if I do I can freeze some and start shipping them for others. Personally, I don't think hamsters make great pets. Gerbals and rats are WAY better. Hamsters are dirty and like to bite.

Let me konw when you do....I would love to throw some cash your way to help you with your collection!

Oh, and about the rats, I do think that rats CAN make great pets. They are intelligent, easy to take care of, and are great if you want an animal you can hold.
The main downside to them, in my eyes, is their life span.

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I heard that if your not careful enough hampster's will eat their babies.. Dont you have to cover them up and stuff so you dont stress the mother out?
rats and mice are so much easyer (i think) because you dont have to cover them or anything like that..

Kazzy

5 Year Member
Sounds great!!!! What size do you need? I can start freezing some from the next batch.

Yeah, their life span is a HUGE downside. Sucks to get attached to something that will live for only a few years.

Kazzy

5 Year Member
Yeah, we are getting more hamsters to start breeding them more. Anyone else want in on some?

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Kazzy said:
Yeah, we are getting more hamsters to start breeding them more. Anyone else want in on some?

I bet you that Mike would want to buy a bunch of them. I'll txt him.

Kazzy

5 Year Member
Eh, I don't know if they are really better, but they aren't worse. lol! I breed them because I don't want to deal with mice and I like rats a lot. Hamsters, I really don't mind as much feeding them off.

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
when i think of hampster's i think of Hamtaro, and i could never feed one of thoes little guys to my tegus! lol

Kazzy

5 Year Member
Ah, I used to watch that! But then I imagine how hamsters are...then see Hamtaro eating his friends in a bloody massacre...lol!

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
lol..i thought that was the cutest show! i use to watch it every morrning before i left for school.

Kazzy

5 Year Member
Alright everyone! Here's the deal. My friend and I are going to start breeding these more so we have a steady supply and can sell some as well. Now, we will be REALLY slow at first, but give us some time to get them going and such. Here's what we have for prices.
Pinks- .25 ea
Lg. Pinks- .35 ea
Fuzzy- .45 ea
Hopper- .55 ea
Weanling- .65 ea
Adult- .75 ea
Jumbo- .85 ea

We may also get some other hamsters (smaller ones, like Siberian dwarfs) that we'll also be breeding. They are smaller, so cheaper, obviously. The hamsters we have now are huge teddy bear hamsters. We can give quantity discounts, but keep in mind we are going to have a slow supply for a while first.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoeiyehi