• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Handling

Lutchmom

We've had our tegu since mid Dec. It was very aggressive at first, but we now have him so we can pet his chin and side without all the huffing and puffing. I do pick him up occasionally to carry him to the bath but he's not thrilled about it. My question is, would picking him up more often help him get used to us? Or would it make him afraid of us? I'm not sure how the taming process is supposed to go. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20190203_111620.jpg
    20190203_111620.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 62

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You could try putting him on your lap and covering his head with your shirt. Also. if sitting on the floor, you could put him on your lap when he's ambling by.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would say:

1) SCRAMBLING whilst picking him up is normal behavior and doing it more often will give him confidence over time and settle him down.

but....

2) AGGRESSION / BITING / WHIPPING whilst picking him up is bad and maybe more patience is needed working on the tickles and trust.

Merlot

Try putting a T-shirt in the enclosure that you’ve worn a couple days without perfume or cologne and that’ll help recognize your scent and get used to you quicker. YMMV

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam