• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Have to wake baby tegu up temporarily from hibernation?

AlexPalmer

I have a 8-month old Argentine B&W who's been hibernating for a little more than two months at this point. I'm traveling for a month, and I can't ask anyone to periodically stop in to check if the little one's woken up for any reason, but I don't want to just leave it there for a month and hope that it doesn't wake up, even if most tegus don't wake up until at least February if not later. I wanted to transport it to a friend's house (this is just a long drive), but this obviously requires handling the animal to put it in a container (and doing the same on the return), so will my tegu return to hibernation once it gets put in a more permanent tank where it can burrow again or will it stay up for the rest of the year?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If it has access to water and a place bask, you can leave it alone. Bewildered as they are when they're forced to wake up, I believe they're best left alone more than bothered. If it's cool end where it sleeps is mid 70s or less, I would ask a friend to check it at the two-week mark.

Even if it wakes up for good sometime after you leave, they never wake up famished. Takes +/- a week for them to want to eat again.

Your decision only. These are my thoughts.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoeiyehi