• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

head tilt and barrel rolls

SjRrMc

my bearded dragon has a head tilt and is doing barrels rolls in the cage, i am taking to the vet in the am but i would like to know if any one has had this problem before. and if so what is it

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
what exactly do you mean by head tilts and barrel rolls? im not exactly sure what those are!

SjRrMc

its head is plopped on the ground with its right eye touching the ground, and it will roll to its back and then roll back to its right position over and over agian

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Sounds like a neurological condition to me. I've heard of mammals such as deer doing stuff like that caused by brain tumors.

...Jefroka

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
does he have a uvb lamp? i ask because i had a beardie a few years ago whi did this, his uvb lamp wasnt putting out uvb, i got him a new lamp and it went away but im sure the damage was there!

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Lizards that tilt or lean to one side and cannot right themselves may have a neurological problem, and must be examined by a vet.

It could be caused by many things, it is very hard to say, I would see a vet.

slideaboot

5 Year Member
VARNYARD said:
Lizards that tilt or lean to one side and cannot right themselves may have a neurological problem, and must be examined by a vet.

It could be caused by many things, it is very hard to say, I would see a vet.

I know that it could be one of a bunch of things, but have you seen cases where this could be reversed? Or at least contained to a manageable level?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have seen this before in a few different types of lizards, however, I have never seen such a case that was improved or where the animal recovered from this type of neurological problem, regardless of the cause. Most often the case of neurological problems in reptiles cannot be treated. I am sorry to say this, but the chances are very, very slim at best for your dragon.

Is it eating and having bowel movements like a normal beardie? He could live a long life if he is, however quality of life would more than likely be poor. I have never seen or heard of a neurological problem that was fixed by a vet when dealing with reptiles.

slideaboot

5 Year Member
That's exactly what I was thinking. That's a bummer, too, because Boosh (my BW Arg) is having the EXACT same symptoms that SJRRMC's beardie is having. Damn...I wonder what caused everything. Brand new Powersun...he was eating every day with cod liver and calcium supplements...weird.

SjRrMc

i know it sucks i am gonna get him to vet as soon as i can but he has gotten some what better he will eat and drink when helped( i dont force feed) but it is sad that he is such bad shape, and reptastic i do have uvb on him 10-14 hours of the day and use calcium and vitamins for him also. I guess its just gonna see how he does it is sad but thanks for the help

brutus13

Did you make it to the vet? That's one thing with Beardies you can force feed when necessary. You can crack there lip and place supers pinkies or what is needed. Also for a sick dragon you can do baby food. Chicken and rice is high in protien. Get a small surenge ( without the needle of course) crack there lip and squeeze it in. This isn't the same one you are thinking about breeding is it?

SjRrMc

no i dont want to breed this one i own 6 or 7 dragons and going to start breed soon with the older ones but now i wanna make sure this one gets better. this dragon is about 8 months a little small to breed but yea i know how to force feed but i think i might use jumpstart or something of that sort to help out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam