• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Heat sources for enclosures

Edward Lotz

I am starting to put together my enclosure for a new Tegu. I will be ordering an AP Cage and not sure if I need a heat mat attached to the bottom as well as a heat lamp for the basking site. Any suggestions?

nightanole

Are you putting it in an Alaskan 3 seasons room, or In between the house and garage in Arizona City?

Kinda need to know the conditions outside the cage before you can start compensating inside the cage.

Edward Lotz

I live in florida. On an island outside of st Pete. Doesn’t get cold here but can drop down to the 40s for a few nights. I will be keeping him inside.

nightanole

As long as day temps are fine(above 65f), and night temps are in the low 50's you should be good with just the basking spot(above 100f). Even if a night hits say 45, it will do it for like an hour, and odds are inside temp will still be in the 50s or higher.

There are plenty of "out door" tegus doing just fine in florida :)

Also might want to check your local laws on tegus. I know some sections of the state want things like "out door pen must have fence at least 4ft high" etc.

bocacash

5 Year Member
"Outdoor tegus"...I love it ! That's for sure...I live in Boca...right along side of the Everglades. Tegus, Iguanas, Frilled (Jesus) Lizards, Cuban Curly Tails, Cuban Knight Anoles, Boas, Pythons, Amazon Parrots, Macaws, and various "invasive" fish/plants/insects THRIVE in the Florida climate ! SOME of this is because irresponsible owners dump their exotic pets for one reason or another...but, MOST escape when hurricanes destroy pet stores, breeding facilities, and private homes. I know it's not good but, I think it will reach a natural balance in time...nature has a way of doing that. In the meantime...it adds to the color and diversity of our fauna and flora ! BTW: That is just my opinion...no flamethrowers, please ! :)

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
A good deal the exotic herps come from dumps of culls by importers and proprieters. No balnce until it stops, and the balance will be far different than normal natural trajectory.

We are a civil and interested group on this forum. I respect your view. I've studied exotic herps a good long time, and their negative impacts are often severe.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam