• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

heat

RobK.

I have some black shale tile in my Rhino cages, indoors and out and for the last few weeks he's been loving it . It gets so hot water will steam on it , YET he loves it . AND no he's not getting burned . he's also shedding better . he will move back and forth from this area that's 130-140+ degrees . he also gets shade or 60 to over 380 MW of uvb (outside) when he wants . BUT most of the time when it 250-380's he's in the shade . When i spray the shale tile with mist , steam will come off of it , both in his indoor and outdoor cages . he not staying there long but , you can tell by how flat he gets , he's like a cold kid by the pool LOL . As noted on KingSnake forum under the basking spot thread . They feel most most of us don't ALLOW them access to enough heat . they can move away if and when THEY desire . BUT they need a cool area also , give THEM the choice . MY Rhino seems to agree !!! :D

Maro1

RobK. said:
As noted on KingSnake forum under the basking spot thread . They feel most most of us don't ALLOW them access to enough heat . they can move away if and when THEY desire . BUT they need a cool area also , give THEM the choice . MY Rhino seems to agree !!! :D

Rob, I have found this to be true as well. They need more than we allow so that they can self regulate. If you remember the land iguanas in the Life in Cold blood DVD. They showed the need for a high increase in body temp to regulate their bodies abilities to process food and generally function.

Mine outside often use the hot cinder blocks in the sun and then move to a more shaded area but return several times to use this very hot area. Back and forth all day long. Because the shaded area still has a high UVB number it is not about the UVB but the Body temp regulation. They are noticeably different after a day outside both in general health look and attitude/interaction with their surroundings.

Maro1

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Again to each ur own,ill stick with my 107f basking spot my rhino and cuban are doing great,if it isnt broke why fix it.

RobK.

another thread on this topic
''Are we providing the means to thermo-regulate properly? ''

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/lizards/845495-we-providing-means-thermoregulate-properly-3.html#post10012943

Maro1 said:
RobK. said:
As noted on KingSnake forum under the basking spot thread . They feel most most of us don't ALLOW them access to enough heat . they can move away if and when THEY desire . BUT they need a cool area also , give THEM the choice . MY Rhino seems to agree !!! :D

Rob, I have found this to be true as well. They need more than we allow so that they can self regulate. If you remember the land iguanas in the Life in Cold blood DVD. They showed the need for a high increase in body temp to regulate their bodies abilities to process food and generally function.

Mine outside often use the hot cinder blocks in the sun and then move to a more shaded area but return several times to use this very hot area. Back and forth all day long. Because the shaded area still has a high UVB number it is not about the UVB but the Body temp regulation. They are noticeably different after a day outside both in general health look and attitude/interaction with their surroundings.

Maro1

like you said ''they can self regulate'' . That's the key !

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Yeah hey i think its great u provide different temperature zones,but at 107f my iguanas do great so ill provide the care ive been doing but great advise.

Maro1

Another piece of this is also the environmental stimulation that the Iguanas get while outside. I have seen mine choose shade all the way up to temps at 125 degrees or more on the stone they choose. The stimulation compared to a boring cage enriches their life quite a bit I feel. Unlike snake that stays pretty much concealed Ig's are used to a large environment with changing elements constantly. Iguanas that get the chance to go outside are much better off physically and mentally. It's hard rto replicate nature.

RobK.

Maro1 said:
Another piece of this is also the environmental stimulation that the Iguanas get while outside. The stimulation compared to a boring cage enriches their life quite a bit I feel. Iguanas that get the chance to go outside are much better off physically and mentally. It's hard rto replicate nature.

The number one thing that helped my Rhino when he having shedding problems , is being outside . He sheds better when the humidity has varies 40 % or more . Mine will pout when i put him back indoors .Also when i put him outside he will start shedding areas within 30 minutes or so .

teguboy77

5 Year Member
I dont have no problems with my iguanas shed,but at the same time my humidity is between 40% to 55% .I think them getting outside help alot as well the natural sunlight is the best for them.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Maro1 said:
My iguanas are finally outside 24/7 now. They are lovin it.

I wish i could put mine outside 24/7 but i am going to start letting outside to bask in the sun for a couple of hours a day while the weather is warm.Glad to hear urs are enjoying the outside sun and weather.

Deac77

5 Year Member
I have a 140f basking spot with my beardie and he loves it. He actually has 4 different basking spots 140-130-123(most the time)-115 and he will move from spot to spot also where I live it's the norm to have a 115f day outside and the cement will easily hit 140 in the sun he lives to spend morning and midday out in my patio I always go way higher than suggested for my reptiles try and get it as close to their natural temps on the wild

RobK.

Deac77 said:
cement will easily hit 140 in the sun he lives to spend morning and midday out in my patio I always go way higher than suggested for my reptiles try and get it as close to their natural temps on the wild

The experts on Kingsnake who raise and breed them , have gone to the Rhinoceros Iguanas homeland , and have seen them basking on roadway at 140 deg plus . So why not give them that option , Dark shale tile at 12 ' below a 100 watt indecent bulb does the trick . Mine will move back and fourth from the 135-140 deg area .

teguboy77

5 Year Member
In the wild they can they can choose were they want to bask,thermoregulate,in captivity if u choose to give them temps as high as 140f thats up to the keeper now outside sun is the best for these animals most of us know this but i can keep mine outside all year so i give them the best care possiable.Also exsperts on kingsnake lmao,so of the people on there are all not exsperts sorry rob they would be Herpetoculturist,they might keep them like me and u which we are Herpetoculturist,or even kept them for over 20 years but there not herpetologists or exsperts.And some of the people on there have a huge farm with a bunch of animals they take great care but only been working with cyclura 4 to 5 years thats a fact,dont make them exsperts.Now there are some people on there who infact are exsperts.As far as i know jeff lemm on there and he is a herpetologists,and worked with cyclura over 20 years that could be a exspert and not cause he's a herpetologists.Rob ehrig could be called a exspert 35 years working with them in captivity and in the wild,and breeding them.Or david blair could be a exspert now there exsperts.Just my opionion.

RobK.

Deac77 said:
Beardies, iggys, monitors lol

your right , they don't LIKE it above 105 they LOVE it !! LOL

Jeff Lemm

''I was reading all this temp stuff and had to laugh. It is so damn hot in the islands its not even funny. I have recorded ground temps well over 200 degrees at mid day. Take a look at the pic of the carinata being temp-gunned in my Cyclura book - I wanna say its 114, but don't remember for sure. I bask baby Cyclura as high as 120 on the basking surface and up to 160 on the surface for adults. The big thing to know here is that surface or skin temp is not the same as ambient temp. There is a paper (T. Grant) that compares cloacal temp to surface skin temp''

just a quote from a author of the best books on the Cyclura's

http://forums.kingsnake.com/view.php?id=1973119,1973634

http://www.amazon.com/Cyclura-Husbandry-Conservation-Behavior-Management/dp/1437735169/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1338263455&sr=8-2

Deac77 said:
I have a 140f basking spot with my beardie and he loves it. He actually has 4 different basking spots 140-130-123(most the time)-115 and he will move from spot to spot also where I live it's the norm to have a 115f day outside and the cement will easily hit 140 in the sun he lives to spend morning and midday out in my patio I always go way higher than suggested for my reptiles try and get it as close to their natural temps on the wild

I think its great to offer them basking area's with a different temps and UVB just like in the wild . If for some reason they get sick and need higher temps , but don't have them then ?? At least you cover all the bases when they can choose higher or lower and have that option . My Rhino was loving it in his outdoor cage today Inhis cage it was in the high 80's in the shade and 124 in the sun and 136 on the tile , where he was basking on and off until it clouded over and i brought him in . Yet it was only in the 60-low 70 outside . The black tile can really soak up some heat and make his cage toasty , even on a cool day . his cage is on the south side of our home .

the tile in his cage will get so hot , that it will steam when i spay/mist it with water . Yet he will still lay there .

roniapril20122-1.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam