• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hello Everyone!

ReptileRecluse

Hello! Im am a 29 year old female from Chicago that loves reptiles and I really want to add a tegu to my collection. I want to wait at least 6 months before I get one because I want to do as much research as possible.

I also joined this forum because I wanted to see if you all think my living arrangements and work schedule would be fine when owning a tegu.

I currently work a 9-6am shift mon-fri, and I live in a two bedroom apartment. My second room is a reptile room. Does anyone live in an apartment and have a tegu? My complex does not care about reptile at all, I have asked about very large reptiles and they said they don't care as long as when I am out it is caged. I want to give the tegu the best and if an apartment wont work because of size and needs I will wait until I buy a house (which should be in the next few years..fingers crossed)

Please let me know what you all think!

Thank you and I am excited to learn all I can from you

TheTeguGurl

Hello and welcome to the forum. I myself live in a 2 bdrm apt on the sec floor! my cages where a bit of a hassel to get into the room but we do it just fine. I have 3 tegus

ReptileRecluse

Oh awesome! I'm so happy it's possible! How large are your cages? And what is the best way to get the cage in the apartment? I was thinking of building it in the apartment but since I am also on the second floor I don't think my downstairs neighbors would like that very much lol

HeatherN

welcome! i live in a 300 sq foot studio and have my juvie in a 4x2 cage along with a 4x2 for a basilisk and im fine. i dont need running around room though lol. i alternate between letting mine roam inside and out. easier to keep track of him too i suppose.

i built my enclosure at home (im a full time student) and moved it to my apartment. it was pretty easy to get around despite its bulk. so i would definitely suggest building it outside if you dont want your neighbors trying to get you while you sleep. :D

ReptileRecluse

I'm so happy :D

how about my work hours? I know tegus require a lot of attention and I want to make sure I am able to give it what it deserves.

HeatherN

im in class from 7 am to 6 pm some days and he's fine. i come home, feed him right away, let him digest, then handle him! on the weekends is when i take him outside to roam the most

tommyboy

Welcome to the forum! I applaud you for taking the time to do some research prior to your purchase. I don't think your work schedule is an issue at all as long as you are prepared to put the time in before or after work. I work 10-12 hour days and spend time with them at night. You can certainly adjust them to your schedule.
Be sure to read as much as you can here as there is an amazing amount of information to absorb! Best of luck to you :)

ReptileRecluse

Wow ok! Now I'm super happy! I've been juggling the idea but now I know I'll be just fine!

Do you know when is the best time to purchase a baby argentine tegu?

I am planning to build a large cage from the start. Would it be ok if the baby is put in a large cage from the start or would it be best to start small? I know they grow super fast so I want to have made the cage before I even purchase the baby.

anelk002

5 Year Member
Usually they hatch in June and July. So anytime soon after that. Anything earlier is most likely an import

Skeetzy

The weight of the cage on the second floor may be an issue. I'd ask the landlord before you even consider it. You gotta remember, if you're putting a proper substrate depth, you're looking at at least 800-1300 lbs.

ReptileRecluse

How would it be that heavy? I have a massive solid oak entertainment center about the size of what the enclosure would be and it is no where near the weight and I don't plan on making the enclosure out of oak lol

Skeetzy

Like I said, the substrate. You want at least a 4" depth across the whole cage, which is about 600 lbs of dirt. You definitely want more than that though. At least as it grows. My cage is 7x4 and the substrate is about 4" on the hot side, 8-10" on the cool side. To do that I needed 540 lbs of dirt and 350 lbs of sand. Then add the weight of the cage.

ReptileRecluse

Ohhh wow... That is something I didn't think about! Thank you so much for opening my eyes to that.

Sarefina how much does your enclosure weigh and is it an issue with you being on the second floor?

TheTeguGurl

One of my tanks is 8x4x4 the other one is getting rebuild now and it is 6x4x3.. we are building it out on the parking lot and bring it up in pieces

I do not have a problem being on the second floor as of weight they are very heavey. we didnt use oak, but pile wood and 2x4s

ReptileRecluse

Lol that's amazing! with the substrate is there an issue with the weight?

Wow I didn't read the rest of that lol thank you. What would you guess the weight is on average? I want to ask the landlord if it would be ok

TheTeguGurl

Depending on what kind you use. Some can pile in pretty heavy. I use a cypress mulch double mill. It seems to be fine.. my down stairs neighbor hasnt complained yet

Deac77

5 Year Member
You can also look into vision cages I got a 8ft free and it weighs about 40-50lbs before substrate I have a good 5inches of cypress mulch and its still light I'm also in a apartment the cage was simple to get into the cage I also work nights at a hospital and it doesn't matter to Kirby even when his lifts come on at 7am he doesn't wake up till 2pm lol (with proper temps and humidity even)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supportibi