• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hello everyone

Mikee1975

I'm a hobbyist I don't have many animals like a lot of you do . I recently bought a baby Argentine black and white tegu . Shes a hatchling for sure because shes small. I have her since Thursday not to long and I'm looking for advice

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome. This site have useful threads on care of tegus and knowledgeable members that want responsible pet ownership. Check them out and certainly ask questions.

Mikee1975

Just looking for more advice . I researched everything I could before getting a tegu . I went back and forth with myself for a while . I'm not a rookie reptile keeper but every new reptile I get is a new set of demands and tricks. At this point which is very new I want her to trust me I'm making progress but she still wont let me get close enough to pick her up . She's getting closer and closer everyday . Looking for tips on getting her to crawl in my hand.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
It's all about patience with Tegus. If she's really new to you, like under 2 weeks, then don't bother her more than to do whatever she will tolerate. Any huffing or puffing that sounds like spitting, or bucking of her back hips, you should let her alone. That doesn't mean you don't come around, talk to her, tempt her with tasty treats....but if it's just freaking her out - you back off. She is scared, not used to her new digs, and thinks you're the predator. It really takes awhile with some of them to calm down, and trust. 2 years ago I thought Walter1 might be nuts when he told me to sit by the enclosure and just read, drink your morning tea, and talk to her calmly, without putting your hands even near her. It really does work, but they're still Tegus, that don't trust easily. That's where your patience comes in. Thank God for Walter1 !! ;)

A lot depends on age too....I got my male in his puberty year, and it took me 10 months to calm him. Not kidding. My female was a baby and has almost never shown aggression at all. Funny though...my relationship with that male is priceless to me. He is my buddy and never shows aggression to me ever. Often, he exhales when i come toward him. He knows his ears and jowls are getting a good rub.

In the end, you're the boss. This behavior needs to challenged in time, if it keeps going. You'll prob have questions if that time comes!

Mikee1975

It's all about patience with Tegus. If she's really new to you, like under 2 weeks, then don't bother her more than to do whatever she will tolerate. Any huffing or puffing that sounds like spitting, or bucking of her back hips, you should let her alone. That doesn't mean you don't come around, talk to her, tempt her with tasty treats....but if it's just freaking her out - you back off. She is scared, not used to her new digs, and thinks you're the predator. It really takes awhile with some of them to calm down, and trust. 2 years ago I thought Walter1 might be nuts when he told me to sit by the enclosure and just read, drink your morning tea, and talk to her calmly, without putting your hands even near her. It really does work, but they're still Tegus, that don't trust easily. That's where your patience comes in. Thank God for Walter1 !! ;)

A lot depends on age too....I got my male in his puberty year, and it took me 10 months to calm him. Not kidding. My female was a baby and has almost never shown aggression at all. Funny though...my relationship with that male is priceless to me. He is my buddy and never shows aggression to me ever. Often, he exhales when i come toward him. He knows his ears and jowls are getting a good rub.

In the end, you're the boss. This behavior needs to challenged in time, if it keeps going. You'll prob have questions if that time comes!

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Another Walter1 tidbit was "put a worn shirt in her hide". Don't expect to get that shirt to ever look good on you ever again, but it's a great way for your scent to always be present and at some point comforting that you're not the enemy. I think it works, and supports the "patience, patience, patience" effort.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
We get by with a little help from our friends.

I'd follow D's advice.

Mikee1975

Another Walter1 tidbit was "put a worn shirt in her hide". Don't expect to get that shirt to ever look good on you ever again, but it's a great way for your scent to always be present and at some point comforting that you're not the enemy. I think it works, and supports the "patience, patience, patience" effort.

Mikee1975

Thank you guys for the help . I love this forum already. I joined a similar forum when I got my northern bts and he was a juvenile. They are a little more challenging the older they get . He is very tame now and wants interaction .
My tegu is very small . She must of been maybe a week or 2 when I recieved her. She let's me put my hand near her but not to close. She almost walked on to my hand yesterday. I try to work with her everyday and I make sure I'm around the tank a lot so she sees me . I stay by the tank talk to her she likes to burrow under her basking spot . I put the tshirt in the tank cut up in a few places. She's very flighty and very fast . I think I'm making progress. Its not even a week yet . Hopefully she comes around . I look forward to her wanting affection. I see her getting curious but she is still very very cautious . I will take your as ice and take my time and have patience . Thank you guys . I'm sure I will have more questions

Mikee1975

20200624_095837.jpg
that's brook.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam