• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Help Tegu will not eat.

John Franzwa

Hello I purchased a tegu from a reptile expo back in December. He ate one pinky the first week I got him then hibernated until recently and he is now becoming more active, I put new food in everyday and he is not eating. I have tried many foods he also recently shed. His current temp at his heat is 90 and his humidity is 50-70 (I have recently bought a small humidifier to help bring this up) He has only drank water and licked some eggs. What should I do to get him to eat? Thanks so much for any help I am very worried.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I think they're somewhat lethargic after brumation. Just moving a little slow maybe? I use the raw egg to entice them, and also ground turkey that isn't the lean stuff. If he's drinking water, and licking eggs, I think he's on his way. By the way - I don't feed everyday. I was told by Rodney Irwin, the Tegu guy down in Florida that they shouldn't eat every day. Sometimes my 2 yr old male B/W will go 2 days without eating, then he comes toward the glass and stares at me....(Food NOW!) I just started with a new baby Tegu, and she loves the raw egg. I try to keep my humidity up in the 70-90% range, and the temp is 110-117 at the basking lamp, and 75-85 degrees at the cooler end. (maybe your tank needs a little more warmth?) Good luck!!

John Franzwa

I think they're somewhat lethargic after brumation. Just moving a little slow maybe? I use the raw egg to entice them, and also ground turkey that isn't the lean stuff. If he's drinking water, and licking eggs, I think he's on his way. By the way - I don't feed everyday. I was told by Rodney Irwin, the Tegu guy down in Florida that they shouldn't eat every day. Sometimes my 2 yr old male B/W will go 2 days without eating, then he comes toward the glass and stares at me....(Food NOW!) I just started with a new baby Tegu, and she loves the raw egg. I try to keep my humidity up in the 70-90% range, and the temp is 110-117 at the basking lamp, and 75-85 degrees at the cooler end. (maybe your tank needs a little more warmth?) Good luck!!

Thats exactly what I thought especially with the heat I just thought I should see if anybody has any in put, Thank you very much. I will update.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
When active, aim for gradient of low-mid 80s ambient to 70s in hide for relief.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam