• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Help with getting a tegu

Dragonmom

hi! So a little while ago a school dumped their lizard on me and wouldn't take her back. I ended up keeping her. Before this, I had plans to get a tegu and even already bought the wood to build he cage. After I got this rescue, my dad said no more tegu. My mom and I decided to give the rescue to my sister because it was all better by then and she wanted a bearded dragon, so I gave it to her. Today, I was talking to my dad about building the tegu cage and he said "if a lizard lives under our roof, it's yours. I don't care if it's not yours." And I forgot to mention but I actually have lots of experience with other animals and I used to run a reptile rescue. I am completely capable of owning a tegu, but my dad still won't budge. I seriously have nothing to do with the rescue now, it's completely my sisters. Ugh. How do I convince him that the rescue is NOT MINE.

bd0795

We cant really change your father's position on the matter. Perhaps ask him why he's so opposed to the idea. Is it because he thinks its too big of a responsibility? Let him do the talking and say nothing, just listen. And if u do say something, always try to make it a question. Learn and try to see things in his pov and from there show him how hes wrong. You say you use to run a reptile rescue; does your dad know this?

Dragonmom

We cant really change your father's position on the matter. Perhaps ask him why he's so opposed to the idea. Is it because he thinks its too big of a responsibility? Let him do the talking and say nothing, just listen. And if u do say something, always try to make it a question. Learn and try to see things in his pov and from there show him how hes wrong. You say you use to run a reptile rescue; does your dad know this?
He doesn't want one because he thinks that the maximum animals I should have are like 2 at a time, and I already have a lot more than that. My mom is all on board and completely respects my hobby. He did know that I ran a reptile rescue, but he thought of it kind of as a joke. I even showed him some of the animals that I've brought in, stuff that you can not believe people will do to an animals, and he considers them "just" and animal. The reason I'm rushing into getting another animal is because most of the animals I keep are not really meant to be held, are rescues I'm trying to find ones for, or some other problem, and I need an emotional support animal ASAP, I'm going through some really tough stuff, and I deemed a tegu as perfect for that. My parents just don't understand and think I can use a Uromastyx as an ESA, if I could ever get it to calm down for a second!

bd0795

Ur dad know u have a lot more?

And reptiles in generally arent really companion animals. They'll have their sweet moments, but they generally do what they want and that may or may not involve you.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced