• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hey everyone

Seditious

First time tegu owners. Daisy is almost 3 months, just starting to color change. We did plenty of research before obligating to share our home with a dinosaur, but I was unprepared for what a diva she could be. She will ONLY eat raw egg. We've tried crickets, dubias, meal worms, snails, turkey, scrambled egg, berries... she turns her nose up to everything but raw egg. I didnt expect she would try and brumate at this age, but she has been burrowing quite a bit. Think this is anything to worry about, or just let the little princess eat what she wants until spring?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Oblige her. She'll come out when ready, and don't give up on offering new things, even if dipped in egg yolk forvencouragement. Canned salmon is hard to pass up.

Seditious

Thanks Walter. Tried the salmon today. She got a couple sniffs, kicked dirt on it and crawled in her hide. Kids...

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
hello ........ could all still be the settling in period ..... keep trying foods and just be patient

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
First time tegu owners. Daisy is almost 3 months, just starting to color change. We did plenty of research before obligating to share our home with a dinosaur, but I was unprepared for what a diva she could be. She will ONLY eat raw egg. We've tried crickets, dubias, meal worms, snails, turkey, scrambled egg, berries... she turns her nose up to everything but raw egg. I didnt expect she would try and brumate at this age, but she has been burrowing quite a bit. Think this is anything to worry about, or just let the little princess eat what she wants until spring?
They go into a little bit of shock when they're uprooted. They need time to settle, and figure out that they're not threatened. Yours is so young, I doubt it will be the princess treatment for too long. My female will eat super worms, and any bug that comes her way.....my male looks at bugs and back at me with that "where's the beef?" look. He won't touch them. His fave is dead thawed mice and ground turkey. Won't touch fruit, except a rare bite of banana. Not sure if pinkies are too big for your baby, but I think those are pretty tempting. Good luck!!

Seditious

They go into a little bit of shock when they're uprooted. They need time to settle, and figure out that they're not threatened. Yours is so young, I doubt it will be the princess treatment for too long. My female will eat super worms, and any bug that comes her way.....my male looks at bugs and back at me with that "where's the beef?" look. He won't touch them. His fave is dead thawed mice and ground turkey. Won't touch fruit, except a rare bite of banana. Not sure if pinkies are too big for your baby, but I think those are pretty tempting. Good luck!!

Thanks so much for the encouragement. After all the research and finally getting her in the house I'm figuring out that if you've met one tegu... you've met one tegu. Their personalities seem to differ quite a bit. She seems to be in this semi brumation mode where she stays in her warm hide for 2-3 days, comes out looking for food, basks for a little bit then back to her hide. When shes out, we try to get as much interaction as we can. Shes still a bit uneasy about being picked up, but she genuinely seems to enjoy being petted and scratched. It is a learning curve, but we're getting there.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Egg yolk is a wonderful appetite inducer. Still, if brumating, won't eat.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced