• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

hey tegubuzz

RobK.

looking at building RonI a 8' x12' outdoor enclose with a raised deck .framed floor with treated 2''x6'' the covered with red wood or plastic decking . ?? Uprights also red wood And floor covered the loose tile , thin and easy for the sun to warm up , removable to clean . it drops 40-50 deg at night in the summer , so elevated deck is the way to go . IMO . he will not stay out at nigh unless i have a heated box to lock him in . we also have skunks and coons to worry about . going to strt buying the material next month and work on it all winter , weather permitting .do you thin 8'x12'x6' is big eneought ??

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Rob, if this is just for Roni, I think 8*12 is a great size. It will give him plenty of space. I wish the weather in Vegas allowed me to keep big lizards outside.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
8x12x6 is definitely big enough for a single iguana, maybe even 2 at most. I'd definitely prefer red wood over plastic for the deck material. And the elevation sure is the way to go, I'm looking to build a deck 3-4ft off the ground for better heat reasons. I'm working on building a heated enclosure in my garage for Buzz and the female - probably gonna use a large dog kennel or something along those lines - doesn't really get too cold here. Good luck with it Rob, you have my number if you ever need any help. Keep me posted!

james.w said:
Rob, if this is just for Roni, I think 8*12 is a great size. It will give him plenty of space. I wish the weather in Vegas allowed me to keep big lizards outside.

How cold does it get over there James?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It gets down in the low 30's and up to 110+. It is also really dry, which would be no good.

RobK.

thanks James and TeguBuzzzz. :)

redwood is WAY cheaper than plastic decking . plastic is 36.00 for a 12'x12' each . Humidity is the biggest concern . I could coiled black hose on top for solar heating the water , then put a timer with fine misting jets , that come on every 2-3 hours for a minute or so ??

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
james.w said:
It gets down in the low 30's and up to 110+. It is also really dry, which would be no good.

Ah, I understand. Never had it get that cold here.

RobK. said:
thanks James and TeguBuzzzz. :)

redwood is WAY cheaper than plastic decking . plastic is 36.00 for a 12'x12' each . Humidity is the biggest concern . I could coiled black hose on top for solar heating the water , then put a timer with fine misting jets , that come on every 2-3 hours for a minute or so ??

I think that would work if you had it coming on for a regular basis. I like this whole plan though.

RobK.

james.w said:

Dry is my biggest issue here also

. it gets in the 80-90's in the summer but can drop to 40 or less at night and humidity can be in the teens . we live at 5,000 feet , high desert . With his present outdoor cage i have used a fogger in the corner , he will move in and out from under it . i also have used a sprinkler that goes on and off under his cage for humidity .

james.w said:
Rob, if this is just for Roni,

yes , just roni .

TeguBuzz said:
I think that would work if you had it coming on for a regular basis. I like this whole plan though.

we have have dew on the grass , but 9 AM its gone . so i wound need it to come on and off from 10 am to 5 pm or so . ???

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam